Old splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Let's see your new Huskee 22-ton keep up with this simple splitter!

SWEET!
One of the safer & better "fast splitters" I've seen. Still you'd better stay focused on what you are doing.
May not be very good on the gnarly stuff though. (& he is doing kindling in the video.)
I'll stick with mine.............. for now :)

would hate to see what happens when one of them trips over a split that flew off of that thing.

would hate to see what happens when one of them trips over a split that flew off of that thing.

Pansy! ;lol

I've got a shop full of ca.1900 industrial woodworking equipment, most of it originally run from steam-powered line shaft. Contrary to popular belief safety was a consideration in those days, the primary difference to today being that the machinery manufacturer did assume some level of common sense on the part of the operator.

Reactions: swagler85
OK I didn't realize I commented on that one, I had watched this video below and my comment was based on it. The old splitter above is actually a great version of an old splitter. See below video and you will know what I ment on tripping into the machine on a split that flew off.

OK I didn't realize I commentedon that one, I had watched this video below and my comment was based on it. Te old splitter above is actually a great version of an old splitter. See below video and you will know what I ment on tripping into the machine on a split that flew off.
That thing is an f*@king catastrophe waiting to happen!

OK I didn't realize I commented on that one, I had watched this video below and my comment was based on it. The old splitter above is actually a great version of an old splitter. See below video and you will know what I ment on tripping into the machine on a split that flew off.

You wouldn't catch me near that thing....let alone using it. I'll take some chances I probably shouldn't sometimes, but I'd pass on that.

Yeah... now that one is a little more dangerous than the one I posted. I'd give it a whirl once, but it certainly would not be a regular use machine for me.

That video is properly named the "Widow Maker"
Like you said Joful I would enjoy giving it a shot one time to experience it but would definately not have one to regularly use.

I have seen several versions of the flywheel type with a wedge welded to it. I have yet to see one that I would use. I don't think it is a matter of if, but when something is going to go wrong.

I kinda like the flywheel with the jackshaft arm, but it wouldn't serve my splitting very well. With only a few inches of stroke, I would be left with many splits still stuck together. I could see our Northern and Western folks using such a machine. Pine, pinion, etc. type woods under 18" would probably work up well with a splitter of that type.

I'll stick to my hydro machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.