Old stove, radiant chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liveandletsdive

Dec 8, 2013
MD
Hello,

New member here, and newly back to the climate of snow and cold. I have an old wood stove from the 70s with an elaborate chimney pipe designed for maximum radiation (see pics). This is a basement fixture which works quite well once the stack of cold air has been shoved up the chimney. A small fan blowing across the pipes helps distribute the heat.

Has anyone else done this sort of thing?

Stay warm!

Attachments

• Stove 3.jpg
    Stove 3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 186
An old welding shop nearby used to have a similar contraption on their stove until the shop burned down one night. The only thing they figured out was that the fire started near the stove. It definitely put out the heat when the stove and pipe were glowing a deep red when I got work done.

An old welding shop nearby used to have a similar contraption on their stove until the shop burned down one night. The only thing they figured out was that the fire started near the stove. It definitely put out the heat when the stove and pipe were glowing a deep red when I got work done.

Sorry to hear that. I had the gooseneck red once back in '78 and figured that was further than I ought to stoke it, and so never again. "All things in moderation."

A proper stove (with rear legs) would be a lot safer and just as efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.