Older Blaze King and Blower Fan and Side Panels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blazzinghot

Feeling the Heat
Dec 5, 2019
New Plymouth, Idaho
Hi I am working on another project. I was in an second hand store and saw this Blaze King sitting against the wall and asked about it and was able to pick it up for $100.00. While it may seem like a good deal the whole top inside was bent and warped. I had to cut the top off the stove and put all new metal inside. And yes this as a catalytic combuster which I would say was in good condition. This stove will be like new when it is finished. I am wondering if anyone knows how the blower hooks up on the back. I have been looking at blower fans on the internet and can come up with a design that will work but would like to have an idea of what the original looked like. Hope some one will remember and maybe draw and small picture of it.

The other question I have about this blaze King is the side panels. The way someone hooked them on was with long drywall screws drilled in from the front and back lip of the stove. I know for certain that this was not the original way these panels were attached. The panels are a mystery to me as they have no holes in them no hooks nothing except the few holes someone made with the drywall screws. Does anyone remember how these panels attach on the sides of the stove. If you need a picture of the side panels please let me know.

It may appear from the pictures that some parts are missing but this is not the case I have already removed them. The bi-metric coil is good, and that brass frames that hold the tiles are in good condition. This stove has about everything except the blower motor and assemble on the the back. Thanks

What is interesting about the design of this wood stove is that a secondary burner right under the catalytic combuster instead of a stainless steal plate. I might also mention that I have contacted Blaze King and the lady there directed me to the manual. It has a drawing of the stove but does not show the side panels or the blower.

Attachments

• IMG_2141.jpg
    IMG_2141.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_2142.jpg
    IMG_2142.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 343
KEJ1101 or KEJ1100. The 1100 was not EPA approved. If the combustor is round, you have a 1100. If the combustor is oval, it is a 1101.

Someone has significantly altered the fan system to also accommodate for what appears to be a rear heat shield (again modified).

The air tubes that fed the cat with room air for combustion are no longer available. So you may have to fabricate some air tubes.

Thanks for the reply. I just about gave up so have not been checking in. This stove has the round combustor which would make it the 1100. When you speak of the stove being modified I am not sure what part you are referring to. I have to admit I looked at every picture I could find of this stove on the internet but there are none that have side panels and you are correct the backs are much plainer than this one. But the bottom section on the back has very similar sticker as the dial for the thermostat as far as design and color which was for the fan motor. It it was modified it was a very clean and nice job. I have been thinking about how I am going to hook up the blower. Might get a sheet metal person involved. I did email Blaze King with the same questions I asked here and they said they did not have information on these older stoves then said "They were purchased by Lennox and then sold the IHP (Innovative Hearth Products). You may be able to find them in Russelville Tennessee." This looks like a long shot but I am going to check it out and see how far it goes.

Thanks

I answered that email myself. It stated the model was an Earth Stove. That is why you were directed to IHP.

Yes, you are correct big goof up on my part. I have Earth Stove on the brain as I just sold one. What would your answer be it I had said it right? The number stamped on the back of the Blaze King is PEJ 16209. I just ordered a blower fan for it today.

Does the pedestal have 5 round holes or 4?

So it's either a PEJ 1000 or PEJ 1001 or 1002.

Both versions had round combustors. The 1000 had 4 secondary air tubes and a cat, the first Hybrid stove ever made. Not many of them were made.

If it does not have the 4 air tubes, you have 1001 or 1002.

The bypass on these was a lifting style, the 1003 was the first sliding bypass.

This stove has two air tubes on the top and it has the metal flapper on the inside it does not slide. This stove also has some kind of safety bar on the door so the door would not shut is the bypass is down. I did not reinstall it. I am sending a couple of more pictures for you to look over. I sent you a close up of what you say is a modification. Now I am not trying to be disagreeable but I wonder if Blaze King could have made some stoves like this but only a few. The modification part looks to much like it was meant to be. There is another part on the back that is interesting but not sure what it does. It is in picture 2163. The on the left side of the stove there is a small hole which is attached to a pipe that is another secondary burn tube that has to 1/4 holes that are on the top of the front of the stove pointing towards the cumbustor. Have you ever seen this before? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2166.jpg
    IMG_2166.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2167.jpg
    IMG_2167.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_2168.jpg
    IMG_2168.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 324
So the first thing to note is we never made ducts that fit onto the fan assembly. So that is a field modification,

The hole in the side feeds room air into a tube and delivers it directly to the combustor. We subsequently learned that room air (not pre heated) could cause thermal shock the round combustor that was in that model.

When time permits, send me a picture of the inside through the door opening and through the flue collar...if you wish.

The auto-close button was mandated in 1983-1984 by Oregon. They were concern folks would not close the bypass. Subsequently they learned that was not an issue and any such requirements were eliminated.

Thanks for the info on the modification. It was certainly a pro job. When you say thermal shock what does this involve? I am asking because when I took the stove top off I notice that the ring that holds in the combustor was twisted and mostly off. Maybe I should plug up that hole? I sent a picture of the secondary burn tube that sets under the pan in picture 2147. I don't understand how all the heat can get through that small hole on the burn pan as it sets right under the combustor. Are you thinking the side panels are also part of the modification? I don't see anyway to hook them on?

Attachments

• IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_2148.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_2147.jpg
    IMG_2147.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2173.jpg
    IMG_2173.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 298
So the flame shield, 3rd image, looks good.

The primary air tube, second image, someone did a crappy after market weld.

So when room air hits a hot cat, it cause fractures, thermal shock. Early designs relied on the secondary air to help get enough air the the combustor. Unfortunately what we know now is that was ill-fated.

New models have all preheated air to avoid thermal shock.

If you open bypass, there should be a 5/8" dense rope gasket.

If you tackle this further, you can but a cat at www.firecatcombustors.com

Best of luck,
Chris

Ok thanks for your time.
So the flame shield, 3rd image, looks good.

The primary air tube, second image, someone did a crappy after market weld.

So when room air hits a hot cat, it cause fractures, thermal shock. Early designs relied on the secondary air to help get enough air the the combustor. Unfortunately what we know now is that was ill-fated.

New models have all preheated air to avoid thermal shock.

If you open bypass, there should be a 5/8" dense rope gasket.

If you tackle this further, you can but a cat at www.firecatcombustors.com

Best of luck,
Chris
OK thanks for your time.

Just though I would show you the finished Blaze King. I fired it up and at first I though it was not working but once the combustor kicked in the stove was cooking. The thermostat works well. According to the manual this stove can burn for for 24 hours with four of five 5 inch logs. This is all pending on the wood. I also added the side panels by welding some clips to the top side of the panel and hooks on the stove so all I have to do is slide them off and on. Also built a blower fan box but sorry to say latter I found out this unit is designed to have two fans on the back which would have made it easier to build the fan box for them. But the blower works fantastic and my wife just loves this stove and wants me to keep if for my shop. The diagram is a picture is from the manual from Blaze King Archives of the either the KEJ-1101 or the Princess Model PEJ-1002. This is very similar to the stove I have as it has the blower fan switch assemble and another picture in the manual shows another heat shield that goes on the top back which I have but did not install.

The real tile for this stove cost about $170.00 for the three small pieces. Wow I went to the tile store and found some nice tile and cut them and was rather happy with how they turned out cost $10.00.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Stove Tested.jpg
    Stove Tested.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 380
  • Side Panel.jpg
    Side Panel.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 831
  • Blower Fan.jpg
    Blower Fan.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 404
  • Blaze King Drawing .jpg
    Blaze King Drawing .jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 390
Well done.

Nice save! Sounds like it turned out well. Update the thread as you figure out what the stove likes. It would surely be of interest to some members to know burn times and performance reports.

Any chance that's the replacement Century stove fan off Amazon? I've had great luck with those if that's what it is.

Thanks moresnow, I don't have the Blaze King hooked up to the flew right now. I also have a wheel rim stove I built about three months back which is my shop stove. I like it because I can burn scraps in it from the lumber mill which is only five miles from my home. For $30.00 I can get a pick up load of ends of 2"x 4" or 2"x 6" lumber. From what I understand these scraps for a steady diet are not good for a combuster stove. Plus this Blaze King may be to much stove for my shop. Right now I have it listed for sale. But I will wait ans see what happens.

The blower fan is pretty much generic
(VICOOL Speed Variable S31105 Fireplace Blower 110V ~ 120V for GHP Group, Monessen/Majestic) from Amazon. It was $29.98 which was good price for this poor old man. But as I mentioned before this stove I believe this stove should takes two small fans which might have attached to the holes on the back of the stove.

Being somewhat new to this site I just noticed the Alerts and want to thank those who have been following this thread.

Thanks moresnow, I don't have the Blaze King hooked up to the flew right now. I also have a wheel rim stove I built about three months back which is my shop stove. I like it because I can burn scraps in it from the lumber mill which is only five miles from my home. For $30.00 I can get a pick up load of ends of 2"x 4" or 2"x 6" lumber. From what I understand these scraps for a steady diet are not good for a combuster stove. Plus this Blaze King may be to much stove for my shop. Right now I have it listed for sale. But I will wait ans see what happens.

The blower fan is pretty much generic
(VICOOL Speed Variable S31105 Fireplace Blower 110V ~ 120V for GHP Group, Monessen/Majestic) from Amazon. It was $29.98 which was good price for this poor old man. But as I mentioned before this stove I believe this stove should takes two small fans which might have attached to the holes on the back of the stove.

Being somewhat new to this site I just noticed the Alerts and want to thank those who have been following this thread.
That's the fan I've used. Single fan is likely effective enough I would think.
I would definitely burn the lumber cutoffs without worry. Start with small loads if worried. If your stat is functioning correctly the stove will digest that fuel fine. Some stoves are perhaps susceptible to over firing on super dry cut offs if they have less controllable primary/secondary air delivery. The BK has great control. My opinion! Let us know if you hook it up.

That's the fan I've used. Single fan is likely effective enough I would think.
I would definitely burn the lumber cutoffs without worry. Start with small loads if worried. If your stat is functioning correctly the stove will digest that fuel fine. Some stoves are perhaps susceptible to over firing on super dry cut offs if they have less controllable primary/secondary air delivery. The BK has great control. My opinion! Let us know if you hook it up.
Well your opinion counts. This was one of the main reasons I was going to sell it. The stove does get cooking and with that blower it puts out air much hotter than my pellet stove I have in the house. If I don't get my asking price I will hook it back up as it is a great looking stove and a real cooker. Glad to know that the fan works good. If I keep the stove I will figure out a way to put a thermal switch on the blower. I have left my other fan on in my shop behind my other stove a couple of times. Thanks again.