Olympic Franklin Model 26 w/gas conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelflaherty

Sep 7, 2007
I live in an 1889/90 Folk Victorian that was remodeled around six years ago (right before I bought it). Over the years since I've discovered some interesting things hidden around the property, but none more so than the very old looking stove that I discovered sitting in the back of our circa 1930's dilapidated garage. With a little research I've discovered it's a stove by Washington Stove Works. It looks exactly like pictures I've seen online of the Olympic Franklin model 26 (I guess it's model 26 because of the '26' emblazoned on the back of the firebox and folding doors). I was about to throw it out as scrap until I saw the prices that reconditioned models were commanding. This one has a gas conversion installed and what appear to be porcelain fire logs inside. I'm sure it was original to the house and was in use, as I've come to discover, right up until the house was remodeled. It seems to be in great shape (just have to kick out the resident spiders and wash it up a bit). I don't see any rust or missing parts--it even has the first length of stovepipe with flue. Would it be worth my while to pay to have it restored, if necessary, so that I can sell it for immediate installation? I'm leaning toward selling it in dusted-off condition so that I can get it out of my garage. What would a stove like this and in as-is (good) condition be worth? I'll post pictures if someone would like to see them. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.