OMG...building permit sticker shock!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
None required here in Centerville, OH.....ZERO...NADA.....ZIP......SQUAT.........NOTHING........so, that's why I listened to Elk and others and installed a 1-piece 316 Ti ss liner with insulation.......so my home will never burn down......

Permit was $25 for the stove installation. Inspector came by twice to check my home before and then after completion with the tape measure...guy checked every single crearance imaginable and I had to provide proof that my hearth pad met or exceeded the stove manufacturer's required R and K factors as well as all dimensional clearances to combustibles on the stove and the pipe all the way up into the rafters. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to read the building code before I started, printed out the spec sheet on the durarock I used for the hearth pad and took photos with a tape measure showing the actual clearances to all hidden combustibles inside the roof.

$200? I don't think I paid that for the permits to build my house.

I live in Upstate NY and the building permit for my second story was also $200. The trick here in NY seems to be not to raise your taxes (as we are almost taxed to death anyway), but to raise surcharges, permits, fines, fees, etc. to make up for it. Really disceiving.

Also, I cannot believe the price for a permit to build a house in California. $8,000 and now it is up to $20,000!!! What for? What is that money used for? Is it just an artifical tax and a way to increase house prices or what?

Carpniels

Here in the eye of the storm it seems the people depending on building permit fees to balance the books are in trouble, in my area houses are not being built. For Sale signs allover the place. The paper has two pages of foreclosure notices each day, its been that way over a year. No one is counting the total homes lost. Michigan's job-loss streak is the longest since Great Depression. Since mid-2000 to the end of 2006, the state has lost 336,000 jobs.

http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/story.php?id=1069

Still they are trying, the total fees were $95.00. $30 for application fee. $5.00 for vent reline. $30 for solid fuel equipment. $30 for final inspection.

I am a notorious INSPECTOR disliker. I have had permits before and had inspectors show up who know little or less then me. So you pay for the permit, you assessed value goes up and then you pay more taxes.

Lets add it up.

Pay taxes on materials...1 tax
Pay for permit...2 tax
Pay for higher assessed value...3 tax and beyond!

Since I already had a wood stove in my house, that might I add was a dangerous hack job of a installation, I did not pull a permit. I did however make sure my insurance company had copies of the new stove make, clearance tolerance, hearth material ratings and a picture of the install ect...

Wolves-Lower said:
I am a notorious INSPECTOR disliker. I have had permits before and had inspectors show up who know little or less then me. So you pay for the permit, you assessed value goes up and then you pay more taxes.

Lets add it up.

Pay taxes on materials...1 tax
Pay for permit...2 tax
Pay for higher assessed value...3 tax and beyond!

Since I already had a wood stove in my house, that might I add was a dangerous hack job of a installation, I did not pull a permit. I did however make sure my insurance company had copies of the new stove make, clearance tolerance, hearth material ratings and a picture of the install ect...

You forgot to mention your income tax too ;)

Wildsourdough said:
A permit to install a stove ? "No such thing here, install away" they say. (Town Clerk)
Year two of building our home- Think I paid $135.00 for building permit, including 3 car garage.
Never have seen the building inspector- ever ! Figure, if that don't come- I won't bother to call them. Works out well.
Next 'town' down has a 'occupancy permit' - don't have one of those either- been in this house for a year and a half- can't kick us out now.
Now, the survey and subdivision of the property- that cost some $$$

Just a bit of advice.

It may not kick you in the butt now, but when you go to sell the home in the future, open permits and no C-of-O could cause huge red flags. If they ever get a decent building inspector in your town one of the first things he might do is go after all the open permits.

The second item here is that if codes change, YOU will have to bring you home up to current code. I worked in Real Estate and these hurdles often hurt the seller in their pocketbooks very heavily.

Third, insurance companies will usually NOT insure your home or your policy will not pay out a claim because you have no C-of-O.

Even if the building inspector doesn't come out, go to his office and get him to sign off on the permits and get that C-of-O.

-Jim-

In the county I live in here in Northern Virginia you or a developer now pays over $31,000 in "proffers" to build a house. The justification being that it defrays the additional costs for roads, schools and public safety. And they are currently trying to raise it to fifty grand.

What it is really is one of those ways to raise taxes that doesn't invoke the outrage of the people currently living here because it is seen as only affecting new arrivals.

One thing I forgot to mention is that they want two checks from me...one $200 check for the permit, and a $250 check that gets returned to me after the final inspection and CO.....anybody go through that either?

Tailrace said:
One thing I forgot to mention is that they want two checks from me...one $200 check for the permit, and a $250 check that gets returned to me after the final inspection and CO.....anybody go through that either?

They want a performance bond on a wood stove install? Talk about creative financing.

Remind me NEVER to move to Bullville NY!

I repeat the inspectors do not establish fees. Its your elected officials that approve fees like selectmen. We only go by what has been approved and that goes for policy Your anger should be directed at the elected officials that approve the fee structure. Not the inspectors. They may ask for imput from us but they ( selectman ) approve it or admend it
many are right it is a hidden tax
I paid $100 for a stove installation permit in the neighboring town. The inspector is asking me what he should look for and hoping I will educate him.

The system has been abused during the building boom we all know it. That new ambulance may have been paid by excessive permit fees. When you need it to respond, remember to remind them you overpaid for your stove permit see how that goes over In my town maybe it was applied to the second ambulance that cuts down response time especially if the other one is out on a call. Tell me how much those valuable seconds matter, then complain about permitting fees to you selectmen.

Hey mabe if you got it inspected you would not be waiting outside in the freezing cold waiting for the FD first response to arrive U look at this way If I do my job right then there probably won't be all those red trucks sitting in your yard or after they arrive I get to do the inspection to determine what went wrong that info goes in the report you insurance investigator reads

un-permitted code violation installation caused the fire. See where you stand when it is time of the recovery check? All because you cheaped out for $35 permit fee?

Sitting in that insurance office looking down at the final adjustment check that $35 was the best insurance you could have bought. for all the wise arses that scoff at non permitting and in -spections hopefully you never have to be in that position I love the ones that announce everything was done according to the manual What did you miss the first two pages about requiring code compliance and the the listing to be complete requires compliance with the inspections office

It's all gettin' ridiculous. I'm supposed to pay $50, file a Notice of Intent and go to a conservation hearing just to cut down a tree. A friggin' Cape Cod pos pine tree.

When the law starts getting all out of whack, they wonder why people do things in the dark of night. When the law is an ass, act accordingly.

GRBW1 said:
It's all gettin' ridiculous. I'm supposed to pay $50, file a Notice of Intent and go to a conservation hearing just to cut down a tree. A friggin' Cape Cod pos pine tree.

When the law starts getting all out of whack, they wonder why people do things in the dark of night. When the law is an ass, act accordingly.

did you know there are real old laws called timber rights about cutting trees, Still on the books in ma, they can't stop you if its on your own property

Again look in the mirror, you elected the people that passed these laws. If you did not vote then how can you complain?. If you don't like the laws get ,enough signatures and file a citizen's petition and get repealed. then it will be voted on at town meetings. Instead of complaining about do something.

Or do it the way it was designed. You hired them to represent you. Call'em up and tell'em it is time for them to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.