OMIG Insurance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I have Ohio mutual insurance group for my house and they cover my stove in the house. I have heard that some insurance companies won’t cover a stove in a garage. Anyone know if Ohio mutual covers stoves in garages?

I have Cincinnati insurance they cover the house. I was told no way about one in the garage though. I'm in Michigan no one that I know of would cover one on my garage

How about calling your agent?? Better yet email them for a paper trail.

According to some experts on here, which I have no reason to doubt, solid fuel appliances are against code in a garage.

Check here. But everywhere I can find says no wood stoves in garages in the US.

Where I live in canada stoves must be a min 18 inches off the floor. But of course your insurance takes a huge jump. Do to the fact if your veh or something is in their leaking fuel the stove could/will ignite the fumes

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

And when you talk to them don't just ask if they will write a policy covering it. Ask if they will pay a claim on a noncompliant install you did

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
I heard Travelers is very liberal when it comes to wood stoves. Cant verify.

I talked to my agent and he says all I have to do is meet the same perimeters as my stove in the house. I know a few people that have them in their garages. The park mowers, weedeaters, cahinsaws and etc. in there. I haven't asked them if they have insurance. I know I can't keep my gas cans in their but my wife's car and my mower would be in there. Anyone else use a wood stove in a garage/ shop?

I talked to my agent and he says all I have to do is meet the same perimeters as my stove in the house. I know a few people that have them in their garages. The park mowers, weedeaters, cahinsaws and etc. in there. I haven't asked them if they have insurance. I know I can't keep my gas cans in their but my wife's car and my mower would be in there. Anyone else use a wood stove in a garage/ shop?
People do it all the time but it is without question a code violation.

Thanks for all the input. My wood furnace will be free if I decided to use it. I know the pipe is going to cost me several hundred dollars and I know I will have a constant nervousness if there is anything with gas in there. I'm not ruling out using it, but from what I am reading, I may hold off and only use the wood stove if the car is not in there or anything else volatile.
That then leads me to another question... I don't want to use electric to heat because it is so expensive so I am leaning towards propane as my other heat source. It will be well insulated and my door is insulated. I would prefer to use a heater that I can hook up to a 100 gal tank (its to far to run a gas line from my house tank). What do you guys use? One of the wall mounted heaters or a ceiling mounted vented system? Are the wall mounted units still a fire risks since they have a pilot light and do they put off a smell and carbon monoxide? I don't want to heat it 24/7... just above freezing when really cold out and warm up to work on the weekends.