On The Move

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

76ER

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2007
Southern Ontario
I'm leaning on putting a wood stove in my kitchen...A)should I move the one from the basement? B)leave the one in the basement and go for a brand new install? C)I'd like to stick with pacific Energy so which model should I get so as not to cook me out of 800 sq. feet?

Lots to consider...it helps to give as much backround as possible.

From your other post:
800sqft bungalow with basement(1600 total) no insulation in main floor walls, only basement walls and the attic, in S ont Canada

Current stove is a PE vista in the basement...usual problems with a basement install hot downstairs cold upstairs etc. plus the stove is too small to heat 1600sqft.

How is the current stove vented?
Did you buy it, did it come with the house? Condition?

If you want to save some money and don't use the basement at all and the stove and pipe is in good condition you could relocate it upstairs and use alot of the same pipe, provided you can live with the short burn times/frequent reloading.
Since you just insulated the basement you could most likely get away without heating it at all without pipes freezing, worst case senario some heat tape or a space heater for the coldest months. My basement is unfinished and gets no heat and nothing freezes.

Depends on alot of things....

Me personaly I would not buy anything smaller than the super27/spectrum even for 800sqft. if I planned on burning 24/7. Anything smaller is just not fit for full time burning. Odd shaped pieces, deep coal bed, there is just no room left. Also I will not get up in the middle of the night to reload...but that's just me.

Great..thanks for the info..I purchased everything new..3 yrs ago...but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find someone that will want to do the work...something tells me people rather install new than move someone else's work...but I would like to re use the stuff I already have and maybe next winter look into the 27....right now I dont mind gettiing up...any feelings on the cast iron jobs that PE make???....

Can you give us the whole picture that you are trying to heat and current installation(s)? What is the first floor layout like? Is it an open floorplan to the kitchen or many closed off spaces? How many square feet on 1st floor? 2nd floor?

The cast iron Alderlea stoves are just the current steel boxes clad in cast iron. They have the same corresponding output and good reliability.

BeGreen
its about an 800 sq ft floor (not including basement) the kitchen is at the back with the washroom...half way up is a bedroom off of the dinning room...then the front has a bedroom on the same side as the other bedroom with a family room beside...kinda looks like a six pack carton from the birds eye view...not open concept at all!..a problem is that each room has an approximate 7x7 window....not leaving much wall space to put a stove...I have a PE Vista in the basement...(basement is open but insulated r10)...the kitchen has one wall which I think I could put a stove...but I'm affraid that I'll cook myself out of the house...the stove and chimney I already have is only 3 yrs old so I don't want to fork out more cash without checking things over twice...the basement is only 5 feet 7 inches tall so I have to believe that there must be a way to make my existing stove work...I will however move it for the optimum. Thanks again for the reply

If your basement is 5'7" high, you shouldn't have that stove down there.
See diagram on page 5:
http://www.pacificenergy.net/PDF/manuals/VISTA and CLASSIC-C 111206-16.pdf

I'd move it upstairs.
Build smaller fires on the warmer days, and it won't cook you out.
Some creative ducting, with an inline fan (like they sell at Princess auto), could have you collecting some of the heat from upstairs and moving it into the basement, to keep things from freezing.
The duct could be built in to look good.

good point!!!...I just looked at page 5...a wett certified person put it in....Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.