One branch bigger than any tree I've felled

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
So this happened last week...

Look close, and you'll see my chainsaw on one of the logs, 20" bar, but at an angle. Each 'rack' to the left is a full cord.

A solid north wind knocked out a huge branch from a sugar maple along the road. At the base, 30" across. There were four 12" branches that came off of this each of which was like most of the trees I get. The bulk of the logs in the photo are 10-12 feet long, but the big three are just 6-8. Why risk the tractor? Not in the picture, 1/2 a face cord of smalls destined for my mother's wood stack for next year.

In the background of the photo, you can see the parent maple with the red leaves to the right of the bee hives. It lost the southeast portion of its foliage. Maybe 20% of the tree fell.

Hoping for a full cord from this to almost round out my '18-'19 supply.

image.jpg

Wow! That s some branch!

I'll say! Looks like beautiful country there too.

That full cord I was hoping for is going to get blown out of the water! Cut, stacked, and split about 1/3 of the smaller stuff, maybe a bit more, giving around 1/2 a cord. I could do the math on the huge pieces, but I figure I'll keep some suspense and hopefully be blown away by how much wood is in them.

Pretty sweet. Nice score.

Screw the branch... I want your yard, and that view!

Reactions: D8Chumley
Screw the branch... I want your yard, and that view!

If you want to move out of Phili, there are rumors that the farm across the way will be up for sale soon. 120 acres. Probably 90 tillable, 30 wooded. Ancient barn in nice shape. Me as a neighbor.

Some pics to tempt...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The camera seemed to have a hard time with color balance today. The dog... Always happy, even when we're about to be slammed in snow...15 feet that year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: Soundchasm
Status
Not open for further replies.