Ooops ... Restacking On The Agenda For The Weekend....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Waiting for the "earth quake" sound :mad:

IMG_20170521_194635.jpg
IMG_20170521_194721.jpg

I'm just going to take the tilters off, and move them to the outer rows, then restack the top.

Unless it crashes, then it's filling in the row on your right :p

Reactions: HisTreeNut
I had a major fail over the winter and had to restack about 20-25' of a 4.5' tall row. It's what I get for using trees as end posts.

End posts???????

:p

Yeah, you know like when you stack the wood between two trees. The trees swayed in the wind and caused the stack to go down.

Yeah, you know like when you stack the wood between two trees. The trees swayed in the wind and caused the stack to go down.

upload_2017-5-23_20-45-46.jpeg

Funny now! Not so much at the time!

Funny now! Not so much at the time!

I've got 2 10 foot runs of that to move .... never again. I used pines, and they are dying left & right.

Reactions: billb3
get four pallets the same size and make one of these...you will never have to worry about that again ;)

IMG_2136.JPG

I do the same but haven't had too many problems. The trick is to pick big trees with stiff trunks. When I've had partial collapses, they usually happen in the first few weeks after the wood dries enough to shrink. Once I restack they're usually pretty stable from that point on. I found that I can head off collapses by watching recent stacks for signs of leaning and then tap the splits back to level.

Dix, Start those two single rows with 6 inches between them on the bottom few rows. As you go up, place an occasional tie split that is half in each row. As you go up the rows come closer together. the ends can be done a few different way

With that two row construction my rows are eight feet tall. And used to be hundreds of feet long. Never had a row fall.