Opel 2 Hearth Extension options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

koselig

Sep 3, 2019
Two Harbors, MN
Hi all!

We have installed an RSF Opel 2 as part of a renovation. The enclosure is in place, but without any hearth extension structure. A few questions:

1. I know code suggests it should go out 16" from the firebox. Do you recommend we go out further? I was thinking maybe 18" or 20" so there is more space for firewood, kids hanging out, etc.
  2. Our idea is to use soapstone as the "seat" of the hearth extension. Would this be 3cm material like would be used for a countertop? I am wondering if this will be prohibitively expensive since they usually like to sell entire slabs for kitchens.
  3. Has anyone done this with soapstone?
We are waiting to frame the hearth extension until we get this sorted.

The surround will be finished with Ardex Feather Finish to give it a "concrete" look. The house has a lot of reclaimed Douglas fir timbers so this would be interesting, I think. I will share more photos if you like. Really looking forward to first burn this Fall. We are in northern MN so it won't be long...

Thanks!

IMG_6411.jpg

No problem. I prefer a more generous hearth than the minimum. Embers will occasionally spark out further than 16".