Opinion on CL splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exmasonite

Feeling the Heat
Oct 3, 2010
Novi, MI
That looks like it could be a Didier brand splitter. No frills little work horse. At $400 they aren't giving it away, but splitters do seem to hold high value. If in good shape, it might not be a bad deal.

Depends. How do you split wood now? I split 80-90% with a fiskars, and only use the hydraulic splitter for tough stuff and crotches, so the slow speed and tremendous power of my splitter works fine.

The price seems fair to me.

hmmm... thanks for the info.

What are the chances that this is something 1-2 people could load up into the bed of a pick up? that's about a 55 mile drive from my house and not sure i'd want to tow behind a truck that far. Figure i'll bring a couple 2x6s or something for a ramp and some tie downs.

Check for any kind of excessive leaks or drips on the cylinder rod and valve. If you find what appears to be clean fluid leaking, it could be the precursor to some repairs.

I doubt that one person is gonna load it very easy (but ramps could change that). They are small, but beefy little dudes. I would believe that two standard people could get it into a truck.

well, this'll be my first year splitting. Just got the house in the fall so i'm wanting to get 2 years ahead (probably 6-8 cord total). I'd like to get 4-5 cord knocked out soon (have a bunch bucked already) and maybe knock the rest out with a splitter over the summer, etc.

My original plan was just to rent the splitter for a weekend... and i'm still leaning that way but have started to see some decent prices (like this one) on used splitters

Exmasonite said:
hmmm... thanks for the info.

What are the chances that this is something 1-2 people could load up into the bed of a pick up? that's about a 55 mile drive from my house and not sure i'd want to tow behind a truck that far. Figure i'll bring a couple 2x6s or something for a ramp and some tie downs.

If you could figure a way to attach a come-along in your truck bed, two people would be able to readily load it with ramps. Or a decent block and tackle.

Exmasonite said:
well, this'll be my first year splitting.

If your just getting into the game, get hydraulics up front. It will make your experience much more pleasurable. Nothing saying you can't hand split if you want, but you will have back up for when you don't. Just one dudes opinion.

If I was closer, me and Dune could throw it across the driveway into the back of a truck for ya. :lol:

Jags-

thanks for the info. if it were closer to me, i'd be all over this. I'm still leaning towards renting the splitter for my first go to see what i think of the whole experience, etc.

Exmasonite said:
Jags-

thanks for the info. if it were closer to me, i'd be all over this. I'm still leaning towards renting the splitter for my first go to see what i think of the whole experience, etc.

Just keep in mind that the rented splitter will probably out perform the didier. They were a good little machine, but speed was not one of their strong points. I say this, just so you get an apples to apples comparison. Also the didiers were pretty low to the ground. Some may like that, and others, not so much.

My FIL had one just like that. Two average men could put it in the bed of a pickup without too much exertion.

The thing I really disliked about that splitter was how low to the ground it was...always bending over....and I'm 6'3" so it was extra bad. If you plan on using it for any duration a set of a car ramps makes it bearable, but not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.