Opinions on Clysdale Enameled Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MFW

Mar 17, 2019
Bennington, VT
I have a large carved brick fireplace and mantle in a 1927 Arts and Crafts home. I am looking at two possible wood inserts for the home--a Hearthstone Clysdale or a Lopi Large Flush Hybrid-Fyre. I love the russet color on the enamel face of the Clysdale and believe it will look fabulous in our home. The Lopi boasts of more heat output, but my previous Lopi rusted on top and I haven't like its degrading look over time. Who has experience with either of these stoves and what can you tell me about their performance, appearance, and durability over time? I'd like to make this decision soon. Either stove can fit in our firebox. Thanks!

If the previous Lopi was rusting on the top that can be an indication of moisture seeping into the chimney and not a fault of the insert.

These are two different construction stoves. The Clydesdale is a cast iron bodied insert with soapstone liner. It projects a bit out onto the hearth. It is a good heater, but that mass takes a little time to warm up. The quality is very good and the enameled finish is beautiful. The Lopi is a steel, hybrid insert with a catalyst. Internally it is a bit more complex stove and it is flush which increases the need for the blower for heating.

Thanks BF.

Would you say the Clysdale is a better heater even though the Lopo lists a higher btu output? Also, how durable is the enamel face?

If the previous Lopi was rusting on the top that can be an indication of moisture seeping into the chimney and not a fault of the insert.

These are two different construction stoves. The Clydesdale is a cast iron bodied insert with soapstone liner. It projects a bit out onto the hearth. It is a good heater, but that mass takes a little time to warm up. The quality is very good and the enameled finish is beautiful. The Lopi is a steel, hybrid insert with a catalyst. Internally it is a bit more complex stove and it is flush which increases the need for the blower for heating.

Thanks BF!

Would you say the Clysdale is a better heater even though the Lopi lists a higher btu output? Also, how durable is the enamel face on the Clysdale? I would want it to stay beautiful for years

The enamel will look like new for the life of the stove unless it’s hit with pokers or otherwise abused. We have had some issues with the flush hybrid. Nothing too bad though. It will have a digital cat temps sensor that sits on the hearth beside the stove. A lot of folks aren’t too fond of that.

Better is a subjective qualification. It's a matter of what is best for you and your home. Personally I like the look, finish and simplicity of the Clydesdale for a few reasons, but there are happy Lopi Hybrid owners here too.

FYI webby3650 installs and services both brands.