Optional External Exhaust Blower for Wood Pellet Stove - Benefits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH

Attachments

• ExternalExhaustBlower.jpg
    ExternalExhaustBlower.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 485
  • ExternalExhaustBlower2.jpg
    ExternalExhaustBlower2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 588
It gets the noise of the combustion blower out of the house.

That is True! Also some stoves do not recommend outside vertical rise venting in colder climates because the cold temps will contribute to clogging the venting much more often. Therefore this outside blower may solve this issue. Also when you clean your outside vent you can clean your blower! That may make it more difficult though?

I think that is a great Idea. Thought about trying to do that myself on my CB1200i. Remoting the convection fan was another thought I had.

That is True! Also some stoves do not recommend outside vertical rise venting in colder climates because the cold temps will contribute to clogging the venting much more often. Therefore this outside blower may solve this issue. Also when you clean your outside vent you can clean your blower! That may make it more difficult though?

I don't thinl that moving the blower outside will keeps the temps in the vent any higher?

Its a great idea to reduce that noisy component. But the airflow will likely be the same. The EVL would still be the same. Even if you moved the blower to the mid-point of the system, it still has to "pull" it through the 1st half.

Other than noise. Another added benefit, would be that it would make the snout on the stove and the joints of Pellet Vent inside the house, a negative pressure environment. So it wouldn't leak. I would still High Temp RTV the Adapter, but all other joints wouldn't need any RTV or Tape.

I don't thinl that moving the blower outside will keeps the temps in the vent any higher?

Its a great idea to reduce that noisy component. But the airflow will likely be the same. The EVL would still be the same. Even if you moved the blower to the mid-point of the system, it still has to "pull" it through the 1st half.

Other than noise. Another added benefit, would be that it would make the snout on the stove and the joints of Pellet Vent inside the house, a negative pressure environment. So it wouldn't leak. I would still High Temp RTV the Adapter, but all other joints wouldn't need any RTV or Tape.

Sorry, I draw the line on the non sealing of venting in the house. You are assuming that there would be no other source of suction that would cause those possible leaks to spill smoke, etc.... this is not reasonable. Seal all interior vent joints period, and even then you have those pesky air washes etc.. to possibly deal with.

It is sort of like having skylights in your roof, you are asking for trouble. The fewer possible trouble spots the better.

Sorry, I draw the line on the non sealing of venting in the house. You are assuming that there would be no other source of suction that would cause those possible leaks to spill smoke, etc.... this is not reasonable. Seal all interior vent joints period, and even then you have those pesky air washes etc.. to possibly deal with.

It is sort of like having skylights in your roof, you are asking for trouble. The fewer possible trouble spots the better.

I still stated that I would seal the Adapter to the stove. Maybe you didnt read that part. ??The other sections shouldnt need other sealing anyways. I have 3 systems and only my 4" has tape on all internal joints because they leaked.

The other 2 systems seal as they should and dont need sealant (again, Other than Adapter) Many others do not seal internal joints. Especially depending on the brand of venting.

Im sorry that a lot of people think they need to seal every joint. But a well built and well installed system, should not leak.

Your gonna love that DT, when you get it.

Even Pellet Vent Pro has good seals within it. I think my 4" is just to big and the seals are the same size as the 3". Both 3" systems are only sealed at the adapter/snout. One Direct Vent, but has a couple connections inside and the other has several connections and 5' internal rise and 2 clean-out T's (one down low amd one up top).

The DT, if it leaked, would leak into the OAK air? Hard to tell if it leaks ;)

Even Pellet Vent Pro has good seals within it. I think my 4" is just to big and the seals are the same size as the 3". Both 3" systems are only sealed at the adapter/snout. One Direct Vent, but has a couple connections inside and the other has several connections and 5' internal rise and 2 clean-out T's (one down low amd one up top).

The DT, if it leaked, would leak into the OAK air? Hard to tell if it leaks ;)

You'll know if it leaks into your OAK air, trust me the burn will go all to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.