Orlan (EKO) owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drev2004

Hearth Supporter
Jun 16, 2008
eastern ontario
I am thinking off an orlan but woud like to see some setups in eastern ontario would an orlan 18 heat 1300sq feet i have no out buildings how big would i have to build
how much wood will i need how meney times aday will it have to be filled

drev2004 said:
I am thinking off an orlan but woud like to see some setups in eastern ontario would an orlan 18 heat 1300sq feet i have no out buildings how big would i have to build
how much wood will i need how meney times aday will it have to be filled

That's a bunch of questions. Here's some for you:

1) Do you have any idea of your heat load? There are heat loss calculators (do a thread search), or you could look at your historical oil or gas consumption for past seasons.

2) Are you thinking boiler only with no storage? That affects how often you need a fire.

I'm heating 3500 square feet in Vermont with an EKO 25, burning about 4 cords per season. I use storage. On days when I build a fire I do the initial build, and either one or two refills.

We used 500 gallons of oil And $500 in woodpellets
we will be adding water storage maybe not at first but before the end of winter how much water do we need

drev2004 said:
We used 500 gallons of oil And $500 in woodpellets
we will be adding water storage maybe not at first but before the end of winter how much water do we need

Seems a bit more than I'd expect for 1300 square feet - probably roughly equivalent to my heat load. I use an EKO 25 and it's about right. You could get by with the 18, but I think the firebox is smaller, and if you're planning storage then the slightly larger boiler would be OK.

Without having done a real analysis, I'd expect that 500 gallons of storage would be a minimum to shoot for, and 1000 gallons would be better if you can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.