Osage orange

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shipper50 said:
I met someone new yesterday and she said she had some osage orange trees on her property and some are dead standing and some are alive.

I said are you sure, and she said they have the hedge apples? I said that is them. She also said some of them were at least 25 inches across. I told her they would bring premium money and would she want to sell them if she helped me cut and split them.

My questions would be, how much more money would they bring over hickory or oak and is this wood hard to split and season?

Thanks for any help.

Shipper

that stuff to cut and 3 years to season I myself woulnt pay any more for it

Shipper50 said:
I met someone new yesterday and she said she had some osage orange trees on her property and some are dead standing and some are alive.

I said are you sure, and she said they have the hedge apples? I said that is them. She also said some of them were at least 25 inches across. I told her they would bring premium money and would she want to sell them if she helped me cut and split them.

My questions would be, how much more money would they bring over hickory or oak and is this wood hard to split and season?

Thanks for any help.

Shipper

that stuff is tuff to cut and 3 years to season, myself I woulnt pay any more for it. (uness it was seasoned for 3 years)

Another use for the wood is for archery. Where ever it grew, Native Americans used it to make their bows. It was extensively traded well past the regions in which it grew. There are several companies that sell "staves" of wood, especially Osage. It usally costs around 60+ dollars for a six foot long by 2' wide stave. All you have to do is find some straight pieces and you're in business. If you don't get it, you would soon after trying to split the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.