Osburn 1600 installed (with pics!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Molson

Jan 10, 2008
Midland, Ontario
Tuesday was the day to get the new stove installed. I started the day with 2 hours of shovelling, as we had another 6 inches of snow fall. (its been snowing every day for months, at least it feels like it)

I shoveled a path from the front, around the side to the chimney to give them a work area.
normal_New%20stove%20002.jpg

normal_New%20stove%20004.jpg

It was cold, -8c and windy.

The chimney, before the new liner and extension. The cap you see is for a gas insert in the middle flue. House was built in 1964, clay liner was in surpising good shape.
normal_New%20stove%20005.jpg

While we wait for the installer, here is this years snow fall, including a couple melts. And my wood supply for the rest of the winter.
normal_New%20stove%20006.jpg

normal_New%20stove%20007.jpg

I didn't get a pic of the liner going in, as by the time I got the camera out, it was dropped down. 5 mins he had it up the ladder, and in the flue.
normal_New%20stove%20016.jpg

normal_New%20stove%20018.jpg

peekaboo
normal_New%20stove%20017.jpg

Its itchin to go in.
normal_New%20stove%20011.jpg

Break in fires lit, time to enjoy. Suprisingly, there wasn't much paint curing smell/smoke at all. even after the break in and full burn.
normal_New%20stove%20020.jpg

normal_New%20stove%20021.jpg

And the first full hot fire. I think I found a new reading room. :D
normal_New%20stove%20025.jpg

normal_New%20stove%20027.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the finished chimney, they put a 24" insulated extension and cap on so it extends beyond the roof peak.

The basement went from a cold 11c to 24c, I have a fan in the doorway leading to the open stairwell upstairs. A ceiling fan upstairs pulls the air up. I set the furnace at 17c and it didn't come on all night. This morning was -11c outside, the basement was 19c and the upstairs was 18c. THe furnace came on for about 20 mins, and thats it. I'm still learning the stove, and I don't think I'm putting full loads in yet, but still, after loading it at 10pm last night, the stovetop was just over 200 and there was a great bed of coals left.
Overall I'm really pleased, I feel like a kid again. The installers were GREAT. (AIM Chimney) If they're good enough for Mike Holmes, they're good enough for me.

Thanks for watching.

Great looking unit and installation: now its time to enjoy. I hope that's not all the wood you have because with all that snow it looks like you might need more.

Thanks swestall, thats a full cord of hardwood, It "should" be enough, the average temps will start rising real soon. (I hope!) The wood for next year will be free, thankfully, so this should be my only fuel purchase. (wood, anyhow)

Sorry mods, I was on the fence on if I should put it in here, or the Hearth Room, I guessed wrong. :)

Molson said:
Thanks swestall, thats a full cord of hardwood, It "should" be enough, the average temps will start rising real soon. (I hope!) The wood for next year will be free, thankfully, so this should be my only fuel purchase. (wood, anyhow)

Maybe my depth perception is off, but that doesn't look near to a full cord (8'x4'x4'). Looks closer to 1/3-1/2 cord.

DI, it goes back 6 rows, and also under the stairs. Its deceiving the way I piled it. That bench almost comes to my shoulders.

you will love that osburn I had one for 10 years then sold the house.I would buy another in a heartbeat but I installed a radiant system in my new house so Im looking at wood gasification boilers.The 1600 is the best burning stove on the market in my opinion,my brother has a 2400 and heats 3000sq ft enjoy. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.