Osburn 2300 or Pacific Energy The Super 27?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trizoyd

Sep 20, 2011
Nova Scotia
Looking to buy a new wood stove. In my area The Osburn is $1950.00 and the Pacific Energy is $1800.00 (with fan included). Any suggestions or recommendations on which one I should buy would be appreciated.
Thanks.

trizoyd said:
Looking to buy a new wood stove. In my area The Osburn is $1950.00 and the Pacific Energy is $1800.00 (with fan included). Any suggestions or recommendations on which one I should buy would be appreciated.
Thanks.

The Osburn has a bigger firebox, I believe. How big of a house do you have?

The Super 27 has a 1.9 cu ft firebox and the Osburn 2300 has a 3.1 cu ft firebox. Very different in terms of heat output.

trizoyd said:
Thanks.

That sounds like a good price for a Super 27 with a blower. But it does depend on your house size (as stated by Browning above). There is quite a difference in fireboxes between the two. I have a Super 27, and it barfs the heat out pretty good, I have to say.

There is a big difference is size between the two. PE Super 27 is not quite 2 cu ft box while the Osburn 2300 is 3.1 cu ft. Quite a difference. Both comes with a blower and both have great warranties and reputable brands.

The 2300 is a 'long' box, it is designed to put the wood North/South or long way. Folks who burn a lot of wood seem to prefer this since it's easier to cram more wood and you dont have to worry about logs rolling out. Because is such a long box, it comes with a bypass damper to get the draft going in your chimney of when you open the door you wont have to worry about smoke spillage.

I believe Swedichef has one of those. He is on the forums quite often so he can tell you first hand what his experience is.

disclaimer: I work for Osburn.

I see the Osburn has a stainless steel baffle, is it similar to PE's baffle? I like the idea of the bypass. Does the Osburn 2000 have the bypass?

Todd said:
I see the Osburn has a stainless steel baffle, is it similar to PE's baffle? I like the idea of the bypass. Does the Osburn 2000 have the bypass?

Not sure what the PE baffle is like. I'll have to look next time. Only the 2300 and 1500 have a steel baffle. The 2300 is the only one that has the bypass. Again this is because the box is so deep, it makes it easier to establish a draft when the stove is cold or avoid smoke spillage when opening the door.

The PE baffle is stainless steel. It is a pretty heavy-duty baffle.

Thanks guys!
The size of my house that I want to heat is around 1800 square feet. It's an old drafty house, so I want a stove that will push the heat. I also went to another local hardware store and checked out their Drolet Austral stove. This stove appears to be almost the same as the Osburn 2300 and is priced to sell. They only want $1050.00 pus tax and it includes a blower fan, stainless steel baffle, and bypass draft.
Any suggestions on this stove?

trizoyd said:
Thanks guys!
The size of my house that I want to heat is around 1800 square feet. It's an old drafty house, so I want a stove that will push the heat. I also went to another local hardware store and checked out their Drolet Austral stove. This stove appears to be almost the same as the Osburn 2300 and is priced to sell. They only want $1050.00 pus tax and it includes a blower fan, stainless steel baffle, and bypass draft.

PM Swedichef and he'll tell you about it. He's got one.

Hey fellow east coast-er.

I live in Eastern Quebec, in the Gaspesian peninsule (North of New Brunswick) and I own an Osburn 2300. It's a pretty sweet stove. The firebox size and bypass damper are two of my favorite aspects of the stove. From what I have seen, my stove should last through world war 3, the baffle looks like a tank.

What I enjoy the most about it is it's large firebox capacity and HUGE glass cast iron door (what a nice view!!! Not to mention, the air wash works great, I clean the glass maybe twice a winter). I can put a few decent size pieces of SEASONED hardwood (make sure your wood is 2-3 years old cut/split/stacked for proper efficient/clean burn) at 8-9 PM and still have a nice bed of coals at 6-7 AM. ANd the stove top temp is 200+ degrees.

My house is a 1450 sqft bungalow and the stove is in the basement. I do not have any floor registers. The only way for the heat to rise upstairs is via the staircase and above the stove the floors get nice and warm. I have NO problems heating my entire house with this stove in the dead of a cold snap (25-30 below for 2 weeks). My stove top can some times reach 800F and it seems to take it OK. It can cruise at 700 for hours on end. The large glass window lets lots of heat radiation go through helping heat the room faster.

The 2300 is a bit "dressier" than the austral. I think they are nearly identicle in terms of heating capacity except a few more bells and whistles on the 2300. I like to compare it to Honda/Acura. It's like comparing an Acura TL and a Honda Accord.

Andrew

FyreBug said:
hemlock said:

Same with 2300 then.

Are you sure about that? The PE baffle is an enclosed stainless box that incorporates the secondary manifold and protects the ceramic blanket on top. Take a look and I think you will find them quite different designs.

I just installed a Super 27 last year. I am 100% completely satisfied with my choice. Awesome stove. Was able to keep the house warmer and used about 1/3 less wood that my old "airtight" stove. I still marvel at the secondary burn. Really cool.

I got the Super 27 with pedistal + nickle door + ashpan kit.
I payed $1858+tax(13%).

Good luck,
Drew

trizoyd said:
Thanks guys!

I have no experience with Drolet.

With a drafty house I can say that you will need to oversize. I would go with a 3+ cu ft stove. The Osburn should work for you. I would also check out the englander 30nc as it is a bit larger than the Osburn and the Drolet while being about the same price as the Drolet.

Also, ignore BTU ratings and focus on firebox size.

BeGreen said:
FyreBug said:
hemlock said:

Same with 2300 then.

Are you sure about that? The PE baffle is an enclosed stainless box that incorporates the secondary manifold and protects the ceramic blanket on top. Take a look and I think you will find them quite different designs.

You would know more than I would then. I've never looked closely at the PE baffle design but I'll make it a point to do so next time i'm in a shop. I hear it's pretty good.

Pop one out and take it apart. They have a different design than any other baffle I've seen.

Not to split hairs at all, but I have seen the Super 27 and T5 advertized with a 2.1 cu ft firebox... not that it makes much difference.

DuckDog said:
I just installed a Super 27 last year. I am 100% completely satisfied with my choice. Awesome stove. Was able to keep the house warmer and used about 1/3 less wood that my old "airtight" stove. I still marvel at the secondary burn. Really cool.

I got the Super 27 with pedistal + nickle door + ashpan kit.
I payed $1858+tax(13%).

Good luck,
Drew

I'm also a very satisfied PE Super 27 owner. We put one in our living room 18 months ago and just put a second one in our basement this fall. We bought the Pacific Energy after seeing a PE Spectrum in action at a friend's house. He has burned wood for many years and said that he gets more heat for less wood with his Pacific Energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.