Osburn 2400 wood insert baffle warped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Osburn 2400 insert. The stove top is the stove top as far as I understand. The jacket that creates the duct for the fan to blow the hot air terminates 9" or so from the front of the stove. I regularly get this unit above 650*. Etiger did a test with his ir gun and his stove top thermometer. They seemed to be reading pretty much the same temps. Magnet vs Laser thermometer

For the record my manual says something like 820* is an overfire with this unit.

X1 My manual says 825 is considered an overfire

That's easier to get to with a thermomter than mine.

My old insert must have been like yours, stove top, then air gap for the blower, then actual stove top, pain in the arse to get that reading.

My old insert must have been like yours, stove top, then air gap for the blower, then actual stove top, pain in the arse to get that reading.

My old Napoleon 1101 was the same way. I put the thermometer on the door.

Me to. Ill be burning that Osburn tonight fatkid gonna be 30 tonight. Im going to try an all nighter.

Nice. Let us know how it goes.

Approximately 3 years ago I had 2 wood burning inserts installed in 2 different rooms in my house.
The smaller unit was an Osburn 1100 which I have no problem with.
The second unit was an Osburn 2400 that is in the main living area.
I burn about 30 cords of wood every year. I have been burning mainly ash from my property.
I have a temperature gauge on the insert and keep the temperature between 500 and 550 degrees.
The baffle is so badly warped in the middle the firebrick are sagging. The air tubes also look pretty bad.
The installing company wants $ 500.00 just for the parts. They told be the manufacturer said the only way these would fail was from over firing. That is not the case. It occasionally reaches 600 to 650 degrees but that is for a very short time. I don't want to use this insert until the parts are replaced. I thought all of the metal had a lifetime warranty. Parts are ordered because I want to use it this winter. The metal warping didn't happen until last winter. I was told I can keep this insert fired up as long as I want and that is what I do. Does anybody else have any of these problems with any of your inserts.

View attachment 74111
First of all I would like to thank FyreBug for his help in getting this claim processed. I had the new parts installed by the company that put in the two inserts. They told me they were not covered under warranty. Bill was $ 800.00 +
FyreBug gave me the direct contact for SBI which is where the parts for my insert came from. The firebrick were replaced with 2 c baffles on the top which is how the new Osburn inserts are being built. SBI processed a claim through the installing dealer
after I forwarded the claim number to them. It took about 2 months, but I received a check for $ 500.00 + from the installing dealer after they received a check from SBI. I will make sure I come back to this site in the future if I need any more help or have questions with these inserts. I am checking the temperatures carefully and don't expect to have problems in the future.
Thanks again FyreBug!! and everyone that responded to my posts.

Attachments

• 4-P1090556.JPG
    4-P1090556.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 304
Reactions: dafattkidd
Fyrebug's a good dude.

Reactions: Gary Briggs
I will second that! If I hadn't spent a half hour on the internet I would be $ 500.00 poorer right now.
The distributor that I purchased my inserts from ( I had 2 installed ) seemed surprised that I was able to file a claim.
I flat out asked them if they had tried and they started to stutterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......
I give full credit to FyreBug in helping me with this. THANKS!

I have nothing but good things to say about Fyrebug, or SBI at that. A very good company that stands behind their products. They were #1 when we needed help with our furnace. Glad things worked out!

+1!! Very good company and great customer service. They back up their products!@ Fyrebug is a good dood indeed!

Glad to hear all worked out!
Yes, I am impressed. Attached is a couple of before and after pictures so everyone can see the new configuration. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1-P1090400.JPG
    1-P1090400.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 483
  • 2-P1090554.JPG
    2-P1090554.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 460
I had issues with my stove 3 years ago. In the end, they picked it up, tested it and agreed there was an issue. They then sent me a brand new one. They have my support for life. It's great having Fyrebug on this site, it allows us to provide feedback directly to someone who can make a difference.

Andrew

I would stick a metal bar between those baffles or put a ceramic blanket on top of them, they tend to leak when you have two of them like that. Fyrebug might be able to say yes or no to this.

Guys, enough I'm blushing ;em

On the ceramic blanket question... never a bad idea and it's cheap. We use them ourselves on all our stoves and inserts.

All the best for 2013 and keep warm!

On the ceramic blanket question... never a bad idea and it's cheap. We use them ourselves on all our stoves and inserts.

FyreBug you were able to give me the information needed to file a claim and be reimbursed for out of pocket expenses for this repair. The Osburn distributor told me the parts were not covered under my warranty.
My warranty said otherwise that's why I searched out for more information. $ 500.00 in savings is not small change! I GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

FyreBug,
On the ceramic blanket or bar. Which do you recommend? Can I use a T iron like I use when I build a hearth over a basement or is the blanket the better way to go?
Is there a specific part number for the 2400 blanket?
Below is the insert keeping us warm................Thanks!

Attachments

• 1-P1100208.JPG
    1-P1100208.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 265
I am in the same boat with my osburn 2400.
Sent a message to Fyrebug to see if he could help me out.
If anyone has any other info on the warranty process please let me know.
Thanks

Last I heard Fyrebug got a new job out of the wood stove business many months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.