Osburn 3500 Wood Stove Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CentralVAWoodHeat

Minister of Fire
Nov 7, 2015
Virginia
I just wanted to give some initial impressions of our new Osburn 3500 Wood Stove. There aren’t many reviews of this model that I could find so I figured it may help folks thinking about buying one. It replaced a Jotul F600 mostly because the F600 needed a rebuild and there was no one in our area who would do it. I wanted to have a stove from a dealer who also serviced the stoves they sell and install.

So far, the stove has been through its break in fires and several regular fires. All impressions are very positive. Being a current stove, I was concerned about the draft not being as good as the F600. However it exceeds expectations. The air control lever travels only a very short distance and small adjustments have noticeable but very predictable effects. Dimensions of the firebox make it easy to load north/south or east/west and it takes practically sized splits of wood.

Heat output is also very predictable and appropriate for the size of the stove. My wife already loves the large ‘cooktop’ size with multiple levels because she can keep various beverages warm/hot on them. The included blower with thermo disc is a game changer with the blower automatically kicking on and off. That blower moves some serious heat around when it’s on.

Best of all, it’s a welded carbon steel stove so no joints to fail. The door gasket (and maybe firebricks) look to be about all that would need routine replacement/servicing.

Overall it’s my favorite stove that we have ever owned so far.

Thanks for the report. I think you are going to really like this big boy, especially when those polar expresses roll in from Ohio. N/S loading is da bomb.

If you get a chance, stop by the Ratings section too, and leave a rating. That will help out other folks looking for this model.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
I have the cousin stove to your Osburn, very happy with mine. SBI makes some good stoves.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
You definitely want a deep stove to load N/S. The welded steel fire box is way to go. ILL never have another stove put together with furnace cement that need attention frequently

Good to hear. Have to look at this stove. Thanks.