Osburn insert manual correction on max temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
The manual for my Osburn 1800i states that the max temp should be 840 at the cook top. Cook top as defined by the manual is the set of louvers that direct the blower air flow just above the door. That cook top is a removable peice of very heavy stamped steel. NO WAY that thing will ever get to 850.

So I asked Osburn, and they stated in words clearly translated from French to English...

Temp should be typically 500 on the surface under the cook top, with a 650 max.

Talk about lost in translation. A 200 degree mistake is pretty bad. Especially when there are some people who will probably try to reach that temp.

My manual for the 2200i says If the door handle on the insert becomes excessively hot to the touch consider this to be an indication of over firing.. Have you ever noticed this on your stove? Maybe that's is suppose to make up for the 200 degree interpretation. Who need a thermometer when you can use your blistered hand. tee hee

wingnut said:
My manual for the 2200i says If the door handle on the insert becomes excessively hot to the touch consider this to be an indication of over firing.. Have you ever noticed this on your stove? Maybe that's is suppose to make up for the 200 degree interpretation. Who need a thermometer when you can use your blistered hand. tee hee

Yeah, my manual says the same thing. Real scientific approach. Never had the handle get too hot to touch. Warm maybe, but certainly not hot. My manual also says that if the glass gets a deposit the stove is being underfired. I have yet to go a day with out any build up....no matter how hot the stove was run. On the otherhand, I'm a little paranoid about overfiring, so I don't tend to push it.

Temp should be typically 500 on the surface under the cook top, with a 650 max.

Does that tell you what the temp should be on the cook top? It looks like they are refering to the top of the chassis, below the cook top.

I just installed a 2200i and was wondering the same thing about surface temp. The manual really leaves a lot to be desired.

wingnut - 19 January 2006 11:18 AM
My manual for the 2200i says If the door handle on the insert becomes excessively hot to the touch consider this to be an indication of over firing.. Have you ever noticed this on your stove? Maybe that’s is suppose to make up for the 200 degree interpretation. Who need a thermometer when you can use your blistered hand. tee hee

Safety tips from the manual of my Gold Marc:

1. Do not use grate or elevate fire- build fire directly on hearth. ( I assume this means inside the stove, on firebrick!)

2. Never operate the stove in a manner that any parts becomes "red hot" ( hmmm, honey can you turn off the lights for a sec? Oh S..t!! Ok turn em back on!)

3. Make sure all household furnishings, drapes, couches, chairs are kept a safe distance away.(Hey hon, why is our furniture in the driveway? Are we having a yard sale? Ya know its supposed to snow today!)

4. Never store firewood near your stove-(Uh wev'e been there before, combustible split on hearth?- Where you going in the truck hon? To go get another split for the fire!!!)

5 Inspect for and remove creosote from chimney as needed, to reduce the chance of a chimney fire. ( Neighbor-- there he goes again...up that ladder with the flashlight,, hmm whats that a pigeon coop on his chimney????)

Carefully supervise children when they are near the heater,,, Alert them to the hazards of the high surface temperature. ( Hey Chucky, come here and try touching this red box in the fireplace!)

Status
Not open for further replies.