Osburn Matrix 1900

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Reismann1

Dec 9, 2023
Rhode Island
I Installed this and insulated the heck out of the chimney top and bottom. My first floor is about 950 sq ft. 20 feet from the stove reads 67 d/f on a 37 d/f night. The loud as heck blower could not blow out a match. Am I missing something here??? SMH

What temperature is the stove running at? How tall is the chimney? Was a block off plate installed?

not sure of the temp. The chimney is over 20 feet tall. (two 8ft floors attic and say 4 ft out of the roof. I did not install a block-off plate but insulated the heck out of the area around the liner at the flue base and the top of the chimney around the liner. I am pretty confident I am not losing heat up the chimney but I'm no expert. I burned last night and got a good bed of coals going, used the dryest wood I have, and kept the damper closed once it was burning well. It burned the hottest to date and made that room comfortable. I realize it's a learning curve so I am trying everything I can. My ultimate goal is to see if it's just not appropriate for my house as I'd like it to heat the first floor at least. It being a flush-mounted insert, I understand that this small stove would have to be operating at peak performance to satisfy my needs.

Insulation is good, insulation and a block off plate is better. insulation alone makes a wonderful air filter.

Try to find the temperature. You might find you’re not getting the stove hot enough and be frustrating yourself needlessly. Tube stoves are a bit counter intuitive as they run hotter with the air turned down. Too much air pushes heat up the chimney. Allowing the stove to pull the air it needs through the secondaries gives you the hottest stove.

Reactions: moresnow
Bought a moisture gauge yesterday and tested the wood I had split and placed in the garage. Let's just say it's not dry enough. Well over 22% so I am sure this is most of the problem. I do turn the fan down a bit as I was thinking the same thing. It pulls from the bottom (cold) and sends it out to the top. I'll keep at it with some very dry wood and see how it goes. I'll post an update. Thank You!!