Other uses for droid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exmasonite said:
...Don't know if there is one but somebody should make a tree/wood identifier app or at least list characteristics of leaves, bark, etc. May already be one out there, will have to check around...

I could always write that app, but do you think people would really use it? Would it really be helpful when there are so many websites that you can pull up with that info already?

It would probably be really useful if you could make it work like the barcode scanners and have it take a photo and then id the tree by either a leaf or the bark, maybe use the GPS to determine location so it discards obvious wrong hits like palm trees in the Yukon.

mayhem said:
It would probably be really useful if you could make it work like the barcode scanners and have it take a photo and then id the tree by either a leaf or the bark, maybe use the GPS to determine location so it discards obvious wrong hits like palm trees in the Yukon.

That's a tall order. The whole 'use the GPS to determine location so it dicards obvious wrong hits' would be a really easy thing to do.

The whole 'make it work like the barcode scanners' would be a lot harder, especially with bark. I could see this working somewhat with leaves, but the whole aspect ratio and not knowing what the scale is on the bark would probably make that portion really hard. Hmmmm....

Just brainstorming with ya. I figure that an app that just shows examples so the user can ID it themselves is pointless since they can hit the web for that on any app-ready smartphone. Gotta amke it easy enough for us dumb people to id trees so we don't strain our cerebrums.

CodyWayne718 said:
There is a pre installed widget to save the battery. If you want a good time wasting addicting app download angry birds!
+1 I've got Angry Birds for my iPhone a while back...great game, very addictive

Get the 20" bar/oregon chain. Should be sufficient for most applications. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.