Our firewood obsession -

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
Smell like firewood without those pesky splinters !

Has firewood processing infulenced the way you do other tasks ? I has mine I am always looking for ways to do tasks "without the pick it up, put it down" steps excessive. Example: opening the fridge -- have a plan get everything out fast // some on returning items. This is the obsessed with firewood site right ?

To some degree it has. When working I am more conscious of setting up the work area to minimize excessive reaching, bending, running back and forth for tools, etc.

Reactions: Lakeside
When working I am more conscious of setting up

Yes -- setting up is a big part of this -- when I first started I recall hauling rounds up hill , once was enough to learn that lesson.
Once your ahead with 3 year supply-- you can be selective on which wood types and locations to get your wood. My best score was black locust trees ( blow downs ) with the wood off the ground and no bark -- it must have been there 5year or more. Backed the truck up / cut rounds / right into the splitter and stacked when I got home. I think I easily picked most up less then 10 times---- Winning !!

I’ve never seen black locust, heard it’s good stuff though

Once you're ahead - you can be selective on which wood types and locations to get your wood.

So very true and what a luxury. Years ago I would burn whatever hardwood I could get. So nice to be able to be more selective now.