Our old Newfie is gone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, about as well as I ever am these days, I guess. Thanks. Rick

Huggsss to you & yours, Dave, and some mega Dixie & Matisse snuffles for good measure.

It hurts beyond the bones, losing them.

Reactions: PapaDave
Not a good year for pets, it seems. Sorry to hear about this. I suck when it comes to losing a pet.

Very sorry to hear of your loss...it sure leaves a hole when they are gone. I have lost many friends along the way...first time in my life that I dont own a pet(or maybe they owned me...) After loosing 3 in a short span, I just couldnt make myself get another for a while...

Sorry to hear dave. I lost two of my labs this summer and still miss both of them everyday. A friend of mine has 4 newfies and it's like getting bumrushed by a bunch of blackbears when ya walk in the house. Each one has their own very distinct personality.

Reactions: flyingcow
Most people would mention how much she looked like a black bear.
She was small for the breed at about 115 lbs., and she was 83 when we got her at a year old. She didn't like stairs.....at all.
I had to carry her up and down a couple times, then decided it was time to teach her how to do the stairs herself.
I believe her grandpa was somewhere around 250.!!! I may be mis-remembering.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
I hate hearing of a pet's passing because they are so much of 'us'.

We've always had dogs. We adopted one and rescued two separately over the years, well rescue isn't the right term as they weren't from a humane society. One was abandoned, someone found her, couldn't keep her and posted an ad in the paper. A sheltie. Best dog we ever had. City dog that she was, had never seen a lake, thought the waves were alive and barked and 'bit' them on our first camping outing. :) She didn't know how to walk in tall grass, didn't know steps and apparently was trained not to walk on carpet - oh, she had a wonderful life with our boys and numerous camping trips. :)

Now we have this 7-1/2 lb. fur ball of a pomeranian - not really a bread I would have picked but she came home in our son's coat pocket when she was about 9 weeks old - she was doomed to be 'let out' in end of October weather in northern Wisconsin. She's 15+ now, cuddled on the couch with me right now. Most days she acts about 5 but the calendar doesn't lie and there are some 'accidents' now and then. Hubby says no more pets when she goes. He said the same thing when our sheltie passed....... :)

Pets are family.

Condolences to you and yours.

I was chosen today
I'm learning to fly
the world took me away,
but please don't you cry

And I chose you today
to try and be strong
so please don't you cry
and don't say that I'm gone

When you're feeling alone
just remember our love,
I'm up near the stars
looking down from above.

Remember our love
In a moment you'll see
that I'm still here beside you
when you're thinking of me.

I've been so busy with that living room I never realized this post came up. I'm very sorry for your loss, PD. It's amazing how an animal can become such a dear part of the family, as I am sure yours was. As nuts as my jack russell drives me, I'd be devestated if she went. She's 13 going on 14 and her age is catching up to her. She sleeps alot nowadays.

Anyway, my thoughts are with you brother......

I'm so sorry to hear this, PapaDave. There is no other dog like a Newf, I swear. I grew up with other dogs, I love dogs, all dogs (OK well most lol) but there is nothing that compares to the love of a Newf.

This past week my Cooper boy and I made daily therapy visits to Newtown CT, which is close by to us, and Coop just has this way of making people feel a little better, a look, a lick, a lean, a snuggle, a full body bear hug or a mobbing by a bunch of kids all at once. Truly amazing dogs.

Do you think you'll consider another Newf, someday?

I'm so sorry to hear this, PapaDave. There is no other dog like a Newf, I swear. I grew up with other dogs, I love dogs, all dogs (OK well most lol) but there is nothing that compares to the love of a Newf.

This past week my Cooper boy and I made daily therapy visits to Newtown CT, which is close by to us, and Coop just has this way of making people feel a little better, a look, a lick, a lean, a snuggle, a full body bear hug or a mobbing by a bunch of kids all at once. Truly amazing dogs.

Do you think you'll consider another Newf, someday?
Those therapy dogs did wonders for those in Newtown who made contact with them. Thank You for bringing some comfort to the area, it is greatly appreciated

So sorry to hear Papa...:(

Sorry to hear that i have lost 2 dog in the past one got run over and the other i had to put to sleep. I have 2 more dogs now.

Sorry to hear.

This has been a tough year for a lot of us. Pets are family. I'm sorry to hear of your loss Dave. We have a friend that has always had newfies. They are great animals.

Sorry Dave.

Years ago my son chose a Newfie as his first dog. What a learning experience! Just absolutely amazing dogs, and I know how much you must miss yours. But we never lose the joy and enrichment they have brought to our lives. May you have many fond recollections while gazing into a warm fire on winter's chilly nights, many cherished moments of stories shared.

This time of year, she'd go out to do her "biz", then just lay down.
Didn't matter if it was 20::F or -20::F. Loved the cold. We'd have a groomer do a field cut on her in the spring and fall, just to sort of keep her comfortable.
IMG_4983.JPG
Our 40lb. puppy thought Katie was a couch.

Reactions: loon
Status
Not open for further replies.