Out with really old open insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The shields will be installed in U shape bolted together at the ends with an Aluminum L bracket behind the stove. 2 high and 1 directly above stove. I'm 1 sheet short right now but it's a project for later. Technically this would be enough heat shielding for a grandpa bear but the flu in the chimney entrance is only 6 inches

I forgot to mention that I have a uniform configuration of steel posts holding up 8 x 8 horizontal beams. The length of the aluminum sheets are the perfect length without cutting to use U bolts to secure heat shields to steel posts

It took me approximately 45 days to cut 10 pulp cord. I am waiting for my new Oregon 25 ton splitter to come in next week sometime. Has been on back order for 3 months. All these blocks are getting nice and dry stacked up uniformly in the sun

20210701_214353.jpg 20210701_214343.jpg

I paid 275 for the Baby Bear.

Live and learn.

Like I said. You guys helped me install my Grandpa Bear and the wealth of knowledge from yous is priceless.
275 is a fair price for that stove as long as it's in decent shape

The baby bear is in almost new like shape. Appears to have very little use.

It's been quite a while since I've been on here so I thought I would catch up with you guys. I have a new lawn tractor and trailer to help me move my wood to the garage when split. My trailer holds exactly 1/3 of a cord and it so much easier on my new hip implants that trying to use a wheel barrel. I also had a 2nd neck surgery this past October.

Oh 1 last joke for the evening, what would a home inspector in California say about a Fisher Grandpa Bear installed on a Hearth on a new construction in California before closing on a new home loan ( Install done by immigrant paid in cash)

Resized_20210514_184904(3).jpeg Resized_20210514_184854(3).jpeg Screenshot_20210521-171846_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210521-171838_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210521-171624_Samsung Internet.jpg 20210518_155516.jpg 20210518_155500.jpg 20201027_162300.jpg

Reactions: bholler
You have such a different sense of humor its hard to keep up with but interesting--if you would just answer some basic questions before you go on with your stories for this would make it sound more real.. If that was your picture all I can say is God Bless You and hoping your health comes back real good for you to get on with your mostly normal life..Now are you going to put a stainless steel liner in or not? Bye the way I love the bear stoves and think they are very beautiful and I hope you get that one as beautiful as the one I saw just the other day on this forum. But like people say---they are outdated now for this time period and because of your health I suggest you think about a much easier stove to have connected for yourself.. Michigan gets darn cold and wet and the snow can be high so high tunnels can be made at least that's how it was years ago and I guess it depends on the area. My late husband was from Michigan..I never could imagine that I could get interested in anything like a wood stove or even a pellet stove in my whole life and here I am just like you did a few years back learning things about stoves..Best wishes and best wishes for your good health and you do have a very pretty home...old mrs clancey

Lol well I've been around the globe in every corner a few times. That was me last year when I woke up from the anesthesia after my 2nd neck surgery. I did 17 years active with 8 deployments overseas. Yes. All the hardware is out in the garage in boxes including stainless liners for the stove exit flu to chimney flu. Now my passion in life is riding my snowmobile on the groomed trail system so if you see this off the trail when you come up to MI, please don't he alarmed.

Now I'll be 42 next month, and if ya like them young, I like to take cruises in my corvette in the summer so let me know.

Tom

Attachments

• the-baddest-snowmobiles-from-polaris-ski-doo-and-yamaha-tested-fire-1544204333.jpg
    the-baddest-snowmobiles-from-polaris-ski-doo-and-yamaha-tested-fire-1544204333.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: bholler and clancey
Michigan has it own fire place codes I'm guessing? My contractor read them all and he told me that I will be code compliant. Can we all now talk about roasting marshmallows and drinking Kaluah now please?

Michigan has it own fire place codes I'm guessing? My contractor read them all and he told me that I will be code compliant. Can we all now talk about roasting marshmallows and drinking Kaluah now please?
Michigan uses irc like the rest of the country chapter 10 is the one that matters here. I am not sure but they probably use NFPA 211 as well

Hi all,

Yes I made the contractor stop a few weeks ago and made him order me a stainless steel chimney liner. I've been waiting on that.

Materials seem real short in the country right now. It took 2 weeks to come in now he is not able to get back to my house for another 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Yes I made the contractor stop a few weeks ago and made him order me a stainless steel chimney liner. I've been waiting on that.

Materials seem real short in the country right now. It took 2 weeks to come in now he is not able to get back to my house for another 2 weeks.
I still get the liners I order in 2 days like I always have. And also no issues finding help. At all. If you pay well people will work.

Well,

Who wants to come over for hot chocolate and kahlua?

Attachments

• 20210804_212937.jpg
    20210804_212937.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210804_212943.jpg
    20210804_212943.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210804_212950.jpg
    20210804_212950.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210804_212958.jpg
    20210804_212958.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210804_213000.jpg
    20210804_213000.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210804_213103.jpg
    20210804_213103.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 109
I'm sure I'm going to get scolded again somehow by everybody but here's the latest

Attachments

• 20210818_172646.jpg
    20210818_172646.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 102
FYI

My fire district told me NOT to wrap the liner in insulation. 1 run of bricks in front is enough. Both sides and rear have double runs

FYI

My fire district told me NOT to wrap the liner in insulation. 1 run of bricks in front is enough. Both sides and rear have double runs
Did your fire district give you a written code variance? You also realize that is absolutely not how that insert is meant to be installed right?

Just curious how you plan on servicing it if that light wall liner burns out? I have found they normally don't last long on old stoves like that which dump allot of heat up the chimney

He is putting the plate in front of it. I forget what it called but it's a big huge cover plate that comes with the stove

He is putting the plate in front of it. I forget what it called but it's a big huge cover plate that comes with the stove
But he is building the stove in a foot Infront of where the plate goes

It starts with the letter C..

My fire district does not like insulation on liners
Ok what testing have they done that over rides all of the testing that tells us insulation is needed to make the install safe? They don't just get to disregard the rules put in place to keep you safe just because they feel like it.

Remember when I questioned if your contractor knew what he was doing??? I now know the answer to that question.

Reactions: moresnow