Out with really old open insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well today I picked up some flexible dryer hose for the flu to chimney connected to a Hvac fitting

Getting excited for winter. Who's coming over for hot chocolate and Kaluah?
That looks like a 6" top plate for a stove that needs an 8" liner

The roll of aluminum tape should hold the hvac fitting from flus to dryer pipe.
You do realize we are just trying to make sure this is done safely and done in a way it will actually work right?

If this is a joke,.please realize that others may be reading this and think it is a legitimate solution - leading to home fires.

And if this was not a joke, no problem. But I would advise to stop what you are doing and get a professional. Because this will make you burn down your house, without a doubt.

Reactions: bholler
I think he is "pulling your leg" or "whatever"---all that sounds unsafe to me but I know "nothing about any of all this" but one question that was never answered: "Are you going to install a full insulated stainless liner"...if not you can have your chocolate all by yourself...clancey

I think he is "pulling your leg" or "whatever"---all that sounds unsafe to me but I know "nothing about any of all this" but one question that was never answered: "Are you going to install a full insulated stainless liner"...if not you can have your chocolate all by yourself...clancey
I believe he is yes. I am pretty sure they are installing a liner because that is a listed liner top plate. But it look to me like it is too small for the stove they are using.

No. Please do not do this. With aluminum tape and hvac parts!!!!!

Of course I was joking. Yes. All the parts needed for correct installment to code are sitting on my garage floor. Installation to begin tomorrow.

If you guys remember a few years back yous helped me install my fisher grandpabear with a top flu in my living room. All is good and have had 2 very warm winters.

My chimneys are getting swept out too this weekend

No. Please do not do this. With aluminum tape and hvac parts!!!!!

Of course I was joking. Yes. All the parts needed for correct installment to code are sitting on my garage floor. Installation to begin tomorrow.

If you guys remember a few years back yous helped me install my fisher grandpabear with a top flu in my living room. All is good and have had 2 very warm winters.

My chimneys are getting swept out too this weekend
Good that was my assumption. Is it a 6" liner though? If so how tall is it?

I could have sworn the flu was 8 in diameter but could be 6.

My breath was taken away from what was pulled out of there. It looked like somebody had taken a torch to the top of the heat form along the outside.

Attachments

• 20210708_114102.jpg
    20210708_114102.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 127
I could have sworn the flu was 8 in diameter but could be 6.

My breath was taken away from what was pulled out of there. It looked like somebody had taken a torch to the top of the heat form along the outside.
If it is 6" it may cause problems. Those stoves actually work best on 7". How tall is the chimney?

And yeah there was no need to pull that heatform unless the insert wouldn't fit in it. And certainly no need to pull the throat lintel etc.

The insert would not fit in it, not even close.

As I mentioned, this is unbelievably scary

Attachments

• 20210709_203658.jpg
    20210709_203658.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210709_203706.jpg
    20210709_203706.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 113
It's in better condition than what was taken out.
Yes but still badly hacked up. I don't know the market by you but here 275 will get you one in good condition ready to install. Yours would go for scrap value so maybe $50

I'm sorry to keep you guys up at night but this in my next project for the basement

Attachments

• 20210709_211515.jpg
    20210709_211515.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210709_211548.jpg
    20210709_211548.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 115
As of right now I have 6
4 X 8 sheets of aluminum for heat shields and a complete set of new fire bricks for Fisher stoves.

As of right now I have 6
4 X 8 sheets of aluminum for heat shields and a complete set of new fire bricks for Fisher stoves.
What do you need the heat shields for

I paid 275 for the Baby Bear.

Live and learn.

Like I said. You guys helped me install my Grandpa Bear and the wealth of knowledge from yous is priceless.