Out with really old open insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok,

Sorry to disappoint. Stay warm this winter. The kalua is on the shelf
I am not the one halfway through an unsafe unserviceable install that could be fixed as this point. I am not disappointed just making it very clear to anyone else reading this that this install is absolutely not done correctly.

I mean you are running this on a 6" liner as well. That make it questionable if the setup will even work. And if it doesn't the whole face you just paid to have built will need to be demolished to switch to a properly sized liner.

To the OP-
You solicit either attention or whatever from the people here to help, cheer you on, etc. you’ve received it.
Some people have to delay making needed upgrades bc of finances. You apparently have at least some money to hire this contractor. What confuses me is that you are paying for crappy work that has been identified as dangerous by several here. You’ve asked no questions asking for clarification, just basically trolled through this thread.
Not even being cheeky here, but I’d put the Kahlua down for a minute, come to your senses, and then take some of the advice given here

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
Should I tear it out and have it redone?
I am simply trying to keep you from making a serious mistake. The way this is being installed is completely wrong

What is wrong with the install besides there is not any insulation around the liner and it has a 6 inch flu?

What is wrong with the install besides there is not any insulation around the liner and it has a 6 inch flu?
The face that the insert is actually being built in way Infront of where the face of the fireplace is meant to be. Meaning it will not be able to be removed if need be the convective jacket is buried behind the brick which means it won't work well and could overheat causing cracking that you won't know because you can't see it anymore.

Last edited:
Not to mention I have no confidence in your contractors knowledge about chimneys stoves fireplaces etc to trust him to finish that off safely

Also the smoke chamber area is only a single brick thick when it needs to be double thick.

What is a cinvection jacket?
The outer shell that surrounds the back of the insert. That is where the face of the fireplace should be.

The convection jacket is going on. It is in the garage. It will easily be removable to inspect
That is the face place and the brick is tight to the front of the stove how will removing a face plate allow you to inspect anything?

So your telling me it doesn't matter if the convection jacket is surrounded by 2 runs of brick?
I am telling you your insert is set way to far back behind the face that is being built. The opening in the face is to small which won't allow the convective jacket to do its job of extracting heat from the stove that is buried in the fireplace.

This insert is not a flush insert it is supposed to stick out about a foot if not more.

It should be installed like this. Not the way you are doing it.

Attachments

• received_458643574685972.jpeg
    received_458643574685972.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: moresnow
Not only does this set up look completely unsafe it seems like a lot of work and money for an old stove that will burn wood like crazy and you cant even see the fire.

Not only does this set up look completely unsafe it seems like a lot of work and money for an old stove that will burn wood like crazy and you cant even see the fire.
Yes I am pretty sure a new flush insert could have been purchased and installed properly for what is being spent on this "creation"

is there a block-off plate in there?

Hey friend listen to the people here they are experts in this field...I am just an old lady but it seems to me that the picture is the wrong way to do this and you want to do it yourself I realize with your installer but it really seems wrong to me...Maybe close up the fireplace and sit on it for awhile to figure out a proper way with help from here..There is positively a way to fix this right and you will be much safer in the end---your a smart man and this problem can be solved but listen to these experts and start from square one and the first problem I see has been taking out the heat shield but what were you to do when it looked so very bad...Whats the next step in line--start from scratch and pull out that stove and go from there asking questions all along the way...You can do this thing and you will get this functioning the right way of this I am sure...Thank you for your service...old mrs clancey