• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

eshwars

May 22, 2021
seattle
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and have been reading through the very useful information here. Thank you!

I've narrowed down my choice of insert to the Pacific Energy Summit LE insert. When talking to the dealer this weekend, he happened to mention that this model doesn't have an option to pull outside air. He said only Osburn Matrix allows that (he would drill a hole through the chimney wall for it). He tried to downplay this by saying it wasn't a big deal to use room air.

I was really disappointed to hear this since one of my main reasons for getting an insert is to isolate room air from the wood combustion. So I decided to do some research online when I got home and found the following: the manual on page 18, there are instructions for how to install/configure it so that it draws air using and ash clean-out in the fireplace! Here’s a quote:

Outside air supply: Remove the cover from ash clean out in your existing fireplace. Place a rodent screen in place of the cover. Install the Insert as described in the "Installation" section, making sure not to cover the opening of the air inlet. When installation is complete, seal surround to fireplace and anywhere else air may enter. This will ensure combustion air is drawn from outside the house and into the intake at the lower rear of the appliance.

Just below this, there are also instructions for how to configure it to draw room air as well. So obviously the manufacturer supports this scenario.

Has anyone else installed it using the existing Ash cleanout to supply outside air? Is that harder to accomplish correctly? I've attached pictures to show where the placement of the ash cleanout is in my fireplace.

Here's a link to the manual I was referencing: Pacific Summit LE Manual

Thanks in advance for your help!

thumbnail_image1.jpgthumbnail_image0.jpg

You are correct. The Summit insert has an option for outside air. It always has. Your plan is sound and should be possible. The dealer should sit down with the manual and read page 18.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.53.30 PM.png

FWIW, other inserts have this option too.

Last edited: