Outside storage/Bin/Silo.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd recommend staying away from a vacuum system and using a flex auger instead. With bulk storage the fines accumulate in the sides of the silo and when it gets low there will be times when you get a charge of dust. Pneumatic systems have a lot of clogging issues.

Just remember, if Mama's not happy, Nobody's happy. Does she like to garden or paint? Perhaps you could build a silo on the backside of a small garden potting shed or little paint studio -- I bet Mama would be very happy with that! Win Win

I'd recommend staying away from a vacuum system and using a flex auger instead. With bulk storage the fines accumulate in the sides of the silo and when it gets low there will be times when you get a charge of dust. Pneumatic systems have a lot of clogging issues.

Madame DeFarge prefers the flex auger to the vacuum. Just sayin.

I wouldn't risk putting a large amount of pellets in such an environment. I see what happens to stray pellets sitting around on my garage floor during the summer! You'll have 5 tons of 'mush' come time for burning! Now you could do that with coal! :p

There are several outdoor silos in Maine. There have been metal silos, plastic silos, and even cement bunkers. I have an uncle with a 5 ton plastic silo and a kedel boiler.
There are also quite a few indoor storage bins. I wouldn't recommend them because they can create a dust problem, especially when getting filled. They're no problem if constructed well. They need to be well sealed and have 2 capped ports to outside, a fill and a vent.

Reactions: Love the Heat
Status
Not open for further replies.