Over burning/over draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Found this video on YouTube, not sure if this is related
I'm pretty sure that must be what they taped off, the boost air feed.
But I agree with previous posts; Inthewoods needs to experiment with cutting the primary air earlier and more aggressively. I've seen posts by other non-cat users that run flue probe temps 350 or so, once the stove is cut back in cruise mode.

I'm pretty sure that must be what they taped off, the boost air feed.
But I agree with previous posts; Inthewoods needs to experiment with cutting the primary air earlier and more aggressively. I've seen posts by other non-cat users that run flue probe temps 350 or so, once the stove is cut back in cruise mode.
Well that’s very interesting. Thanks mrpelletburner for the video... that is the hole that they taped close BUT the one on our stove is located on the other side of the draft and to far from the draft to be closed and has no leaver of it’s own. So we cannot shut the boost air feed and by just closing the draft it does not slow the fire down... there ain’t no cruse on this stove. Does not matter if we shut the draft early or let it char the wood... it just keeps burning until all the wood is burned.

Would a wood stove that meets EPA 2020 requirements have a label on it's back side stating so?

Not having that label wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being the new LE design, but having one would help clear the air on this thread.

Thanks but it doesn’t mention the air booster pipe hole ( or any other air outlets on the front of the stove. )
With it open we can not control the fire... it drafts too much.
Can you post a picture of this air booster pipe sooner than later. It would help identify the part.

What is the complete model name on the manual and on the testing label on the back of the stove?

Would a wood stove that meets EPA 2020 requirements have a label on it's back side stating so?

Not having that label wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being the new LE design, but having one would help clear the air on this thread.
Ok, the label on the back indicates it is a “ Super LE”. It was manufactured September 2018. But it is hard to read any thing else...what do we look for?
What is the story on the LE???
The manual they sent was for a 2013 Super 27.
This stove has features not in that manual.
1: air boost
2: over heat shut down
Terms are debatable but that’s what we were told when we were getting the sales pitch. Nothing about LE????

Can you post a picture of this air booster pipe sooner than later. It would help identify the part.

What is the complete model name on the manual and on the testing label on the back of the stove?
Sorry it’s cold here now so the heat is on and I cannot take pictures till it is cold. May have a chance this afternoon.
But the model name that is marked on the label behind the stove is “ SuperLE”

This is the first LE model on the market I've heard of.

Last edited:
This is the first LE model on the market I've heard of.
Well on the back label of the stove it has a list of different stove names ‘Super LE , Super Classic LE, AlderleaT5LE, Alderlea T5ClasicLE.
The one that is marked off on our stove is the Super LE, they’re all LE, but no mention of Super 27.
So now what... does that mean they sold us the wrong stove or just the wrong manual.???

I think they are all functionally the same stoves. Look at the Pacific Energy website about meeting the EPA 2020 emissions for more information. I would say you just have the latest model of the super27.

I'm not sure if there'd be a practical difference, but it does sound to me like you got the wrong version of the manual.

Full disclosure, I am not a professional nor have any experience with this type of stove. Just reading a lot on the web...

I think they are all functionally the same stoves. Look at the Pacific Energy website about meeting the EPA 2020 emissions for more information. I would say you just have the latest model of the super27.
I'm not sure if there'd be a practical difference,
RIght, the LE is 2020-compliant. Looking at the EPA output numbers, I would guess they are giving it a little more air to keep emissions lower; The outputs, both low and high, are higher on the LE. Not a huge difference, though...nothing you couldn't negate with a pipe damper or two. ;)
T5 LE.PNG

Last edited:
Well that’s very interesting. Thanks mrpelletburner for the video... that is the hole that they taped close BUT the one on our stove is located on the other side of the draft and to far from the draft to be closed and has no leaver of it’s own. So we cannot shut the boost air feed and by just closing the draft it does not slow the fire down... there ain’t no cruse on this stove. Does not matter if we shut the draft early or let it char the wood... it just keeps burning until all the wood is burned.
Crap.That video is in complete error as to the purpose of the boost air. He says it is for the airwash. it is not. The airwash feed is from above the glass. I will comment on the youtube site and will delete this posting. Misinformation is not helpful.

Well on the back label of the stove it has a list of different stove names ‘Super LE , Super Classic LE, AlderleaT5LE, Alderlea T5ClasicLE.
The one that is marked off on our stove is the Super LE, they’re all LE, but no mention of Super 27.
So now what... does that mean they sold us the wrong stove or just the wrong manual.???
Thanks for that update. I knew they had started selling the LE series in Quebec to meet the Montreal deadline, but didn't know they were selling them in your province as well. They dropped the 27 designation at some point last year I think. Now it's just the Super series. Time for PE to post the new docs online if they are selling the LE stoves cross-Canada.

This is new to me. By its location it probably controls secondary air. Secondary air used to be linked to the primary air on this model.

This is from the FAQ on the PE Support page:

Should I use a flue damper?

• Flue dampers can be considered in situation with excessive draft, consult with your local pacific energy Dealer before making any modifications.
If the dealer can't help you with this, I am sure one of the guys in this forum can.

Also, from the owners manual on the Super 27 (probably no different from yours):

WARNING: No alteration or modification of the combustion air control assembly is permitted. Any tampering will void warranty and could be very hazardous.

I would be careful about letting PE know about plugging that intake.

Last edited:
This is new to me. By its location it probably controls secondary air. Secondary air used to be linked to the primary air on this model.
Did you see in #68 the pictures shows two holes. You can see the edge of the draft plate and next to that is the cut air hole for the glass wash ( goes into the tube and around to the top of door).
Then next to that is the air boost pipe ( it’s a small piece of pipe that is welded to the underside of the stove and goes into the fire box behind the front plate/shield with holes in it.
So was the one shown in the video able to close?
If we shut off the air boost there would still be air going in to the stove from the other hole.
So that should be safe??
Would it be possible that the need for the air boost is applicable for a cat stove but over kill for a non- cat???
The dealer told us that they were starting to build all the wood stoves this way now preparatory to the next step with cat installed. So the price was the same right now but by next year you will not be able to buy one with out all EPA features.
Wood stoves are becoming a thing for the rich and famous!

The dealer told us that they were starting to build all the wood stoves this way now preparatory to the next step with cat installed.
Your dealer is blowing smoke. That statement is BS.

Yes, it's safe to tape off the boost air hole. PE has had various designs over the years. On our stove the EBT regulates boost air. That wasn't too successful and they switched to a barometric damper (EBT2) on the secondary which works better. My EBT boost air hole has been taped off for most of the stove's life. With dry wood and a 20' flue it is not needed.

I don't know enough about the "box" on the rear of the stove yet, but I am curious and waiting to see what PE finally says. By the looks of it this could be an EBT2 damper on the secondary air? If so, they have borrowed this from the larger Summit.

FWIW, I found out today that some of the Super LEs have started selling locally. So far owner reports are good. They're pretty happy with them. I hope to see one in person soon.

Last edited:
I found out today that some of the Super LEs have started selling locally. So far owner reports are good. They're pretty happy with them. I hope to see one in person soon.
That's what I heard too, then I thought "What do most owners know?" ;lol But I guess if they have no complaints, that's good. Then again, we're posting in a complaint thread...

@Inthewoods2019 what were you heating with prior to the new stove?
I think his previous stoves were old smoke-bombers that you could cut the air on, any time you wanted. I guess I should shut up and let him answer. ;lol