Over burning/over draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well that’s not what we were told by the dealer who sold it to us. We were told all stoves will have cats installed and you will not be able to purchase one without it.
Also the air boost and the “over heat box” ( what it’s called???) are new features and were installed on this new model as preludes to the 2020 regulations and they were not adding additional cost at this time for the new features.
This was the information we got from the dealer who has been selling PE stoves for many years.
I'm very sorry but the salesperson at the dealer is blowing smoke. That is a totally false statement. Unfortunately, it also sounds like the salesperson really does not understand the workings of this stove and is passing on a lot of bad information. The PE LE series stoves are EPA 2020 certified.
Here is the correct information directly from PE:
https://www.pacificenergy.net/support/tools/2gramemissions-2/

Last edited:
I'm very sorry but the salesperson at the dealer is blowing smoke. That is a totally false statement. Unfortunately, it also sounds like the salesperson really does not understand the workings of this stove and is passing on a lot of bad information. The PE LE series stoves are EPA 2020 certified.
Here is the correct information directly from PE:
https://www.pacificenergy.net/support/tools/2gramemissions-2/
Thank you... that’s very interesting and certainly not the information we were given at purchase.
We will be informing the dealer and under such circumstances the bill will not be our responsibility!!! Along with many other points.
We like the stove and are sorry we had draft issues... wish there was some way to correct it so we could run the stove the way it is designed to work...( with out having the air boost hole plugged). We are satisfied in the way it performs now, but hope we are not interfering with it’s intended performance.

Thank you... that’s very interesting and certainly not the information we were given at purchase.
We will be informing the dealer and under such circumstances the bill will not be our responsibility!!! Along with many other points.
We like the stove and are sorry we had draft issues... wish there was some way to correct it so we could run the stove the way it is designed to work...( with out having the air boost hole plugged). We are satisfied in the way it performs now, but hope we are not interfering with it’s intended performance.
Whether the bill is your responsibility depends entirely upon the terms of the sales and install agreement. I personally would use a damper or 2 if needed to fix the problem before modifying the stove.

Whether the bill is your responsibility depends entirely upon the terms of the sales and install agreement. I personally would use a damper or 2 if needed to fix the problem before modifying the stove.
They did put one damper on the chimney and it didn’t make any difference... we could try two and what about a smaller chimney cap?

They did put one damper on the chimney and it didn’t make any difference... we could try two and what about a smaller chimney cap?
I know you said that but honestly I don't see how a damper could possibly not change the draft reading. One may not be enough but reducing the flue volume by 2/3 has to reduce draft.

I know you said that but honestly I don't see how a damper could possibly not change the draft reading. One may not be enough but reducing the flue volume by 2/3 has to reduce draft.
Well since the repair person and the dealer did not seem to know much about the stove maybe he didn’t know how to properly do a draft test either.
We still have the damper he left in and have tried it a few times and although we don’t have the gage to read the draft we don’t see any difference in the fire when the damper is closed. Maybe it would take two. But of course using chimney dampers will void insurance.
The dealer suggested a size smaller cap? But how much can you restrict a chimney before you cause issues with chimney build up?

Well since the repair person and the dealer did not seem to know much about the stove maybe he didn’t know how to properly do a draft test either.
We still have the damper he left in and have tried it a few times and although we don’t have the gage to read the draft we don’t see any difference in the fire when the damper is closed. Maybe it would take two. But of course using chimney dampers will void insurance.
The dealer suggested a size smaller cap? But how much can you restrict a chimney before you cause issues with chimney build up?

Why would a second damper, or any damper, void your insurance?

Reactions: bholler
How would using chimney dampers void insurance but modifying a listed product wouldn't. Using a damper is not against code unless thetstove manual specifically prohibits it. A smaller cap would be my last choice. It usually isn't very effective and can cause issues with buildup.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The insurance company does not insure homes with wood as primary heat and will not insure if any stove does not meet today’s standards or have any alterations.
But the dealer also told us that... for what ever that’s worth.
Again nothing prohibits the use of dampers unless the manual specifically says so.

Again nothing prohibits the use of dampers unless the manual specifically says so.
Good, we will check into another damper and see if that makes a difference.
You said our draft test results were 3x what they should be...is there different meters or readings (ie: metric vs imperial???) Canada is metric so don’t know if these draft test are affected.
The tech told us we were well with in range when he had tapped close the air boost.

sounds like the salesperson really does not understand the workings of this stove
One salesman at the Manchester dealer, the first time I was there a couple months ago and saw they had a 8361 and an 8360, told me the difference was that the 8360 had brown porcelain enamel, and the 8361 was matte black. I said to myself, "Yeah...that's the ticket." ;lol

Some of these guys are right off the used car lot.

Reactions: bholler