Over night house temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The space that I can compare to you guys that use your stoves to heat the whole house 24/7 is my basement where the insert is. Last night at 11 when it was 11 outside, it was down to 68 with the fire down to some coals. Put in 5 splits (hardly full), watched it and damped it down, it was 72 again within about 15 minutes. I'm sure it kept climbing after that (typically peaks between 75-80 depending on all the variables) but went back down at 8:30 this morning and it was 64 inside, 17 out. Was able to start it up from the coals left over.

Meanwhile, upstairs the main living area zone for the NG boiler drops to 65 at 9pm and at midnight it was still 67 with the insert going, but come 6am it pops back up to 69, so its hard to tell since I put a floor on the temp. During the day I have a small floor fan at the bottom of the stairs to aid convection but I shut that off at night. What we've found is the hallway the bedrooms are all connected to stays warm enough to not call the NG boiler if I have the insert going with the stair fan on. Since the wife likes to sleep with the door closed, that makes for a cold bedroom until the hallway cools off enough. That zone is set at 68 24/7 during the heating season.

Worst part is were too hot at about 82 and up. Stove room (finished basement)is always 90 or above.

Yeesh, the highest I've gotten my basement up to is 83 but I have slightly less sqft than you and 1 less floor. Plus since I work down there, I have to be comfortable. Put some rocks down there near the stove with a pail of water, sauna. ;)

Yeesh, the highest I've gotten my basement up to is 83 but I have slightly less sqft than you and 1 less floor. Plus since I work down there, I have to be comfortable. Put some rocks down there near the stove with a pail of water, sauna. ;)
My basement is 1000SF and is not insulated . Stays about 90 with a window open.

I can keep house between 74 to 78 overnight. Once it gets in the single digits it is hard to keep the two far bedrooms over the garage above 70. It was seventeen the other night I added wood to both stoves around 11 house was around 76 77 when I got up at 4 the house was still warm 78. I seems the real windy nights are the ones where it is hard to keep the house temps up. The wife had the house over 82 a couple times last week with outside temps in the low twenties. She thought I would come home frozen so she got both stoves going, had to tell her that was a little much 76 is perfect.

When its in the teens I can go to bed at 73 and wake up to 72-71... The house is 6" framing with spray foam insulation, very efficient at 2700sf. I use a Freedom Bay insert and more than surprised at how well it keeps the entire house warm. Single digits, which are rare, I will wake up to 68-70.. I have heat pump(s) set to kick in at 68, and they rarely run..

If someone would invent a wood powered AC Id be in business all year! My power bill in a 100% electric house in the winter is $120-160 depending on temp and if Im running stove, and $300-500 in summer while running AC's. I dont run stove when outside temps at night are 45-55, it would be too hot in the house, so I let the heat pumps run.

$300-500 in summer while running AC's. .
That sounds crazy for an energy efficient house. My ac in my very inefficient house cost me less than $25 a month in summer.

I have two units.. And I live where it can be but rarely is single digits in winter, but as well triple digits with super high humidity in the summer...

Summers here suck, I live on MD's eastern shore... Its not uncommon in July/August to be 90*+ with high humidity with heat indexes over 100... And its not unheard of to have triple digit days... And i want 69-72* at most in the house..

I have two units.. And I live where it can be but rarely is single digits in winter, but as well triple digits with super high humidity in the summer...

Summers here suck, I live on MD's eastern shore... Its not uncommon in July/August to be 90*+ with high humidity with heat indexes over 100... And its not unheard of to have triple digit days... And i want 69-72* at most in the house..
You need a geo-thermo system.

Usually load the stove twice a day (Hearthstone Clydesdale) house will maintain 66-70 upstairs and 70-74 downstairs 2400 sqft bilevel. I load the stove tight around 930pm-1030pm and wake at 500am to 62-65 upstairs and 65-68 downstairs depending on what's happening outside, I've had a few mornings dip a little colder. The stove will bring things back up in about an hour or two, the boiler only runs to maintain 63 in the bedrooms (stove usually doesn't heat them too well) and for indirect hot water tan. I've been averaging 3-5 gallons of oil a week.

I try to keep our house temp in the upper 60's for when we wake up in the morning. I can regulate it by the amount of wood as well as air I allow in the stove overnight. If it is not going to be very cold, I minimize wood and air and have a slow easy burn. If it is a cold night, I'll load up the wood and adjust the air accordingly. It normally works fairly well....