overfired vermont castings defiant encore catalytic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toniclithero

Feb 24, 2013
my daughter fed the stove left it open and fell asleep! Defiants like to burn and this one must have gotten quite hot. The baffle and the fireplate behind the firebricks are warped, the catalyst is toast. I am afraid that the integrity of the whole stove has been compromised? should I replace the parts or chuck it?

I bought a new baffle after an overfiring incident but it doesn't seal so fire goes around the sides and over the top is this ok or will it destroy the catalyst

The parts you are talking about make up a system. They must fit well together in order to provide a controlled smoke path. If many parts were seriously overfired and now are cracked and warped, they must all be replaced together to restore the integrity of the stove. Before proceeding you need a full inventory of the damage. Check every component of the stove carefully for warps, cracks and proper operation.

If you can provide several pics we can see if we spot anything.

The parts you are talking about make up a system. They must fit well together in order to provide a controlled smoke path. If many parts were seriously overfired and now are cracked and warped, they must all be replaced together to restore the integrity of the stove. Before proceeding you need a full inventory of the damage. Check every component of the stove carefully for warps, cracks and proper operation.

If you can provide several pics we can see if we spot anything.

Considering the state of the company + the parts prices + the amount of parts that it has . I 'd Scrap it . But I would do an assement of costs before a final decision is made.

I rebuilt an VC acclaim it was not fun . Not do to a overfire . When you get into it it's hard to draw the line on where to stop the disassembly . You can wrap up a lot of time & money

I did it once won't do it again

It's because of my VC ownership that I am so picky as to it's replacement .

Sorry to hear of your dilemma

If you decide to rebuild, Vermont Castings offers a fireback kit that will provide all the necessary parts for a rebuild (minus the cat) at a reduced price versus buying the individual parts. Woodsmans Parts Plus used to carry the fireback kit for the defiant encore, for around $600 last I looked.

The rebuild process is not overly complicated, complete instructions are included in the kit or the service manual can be found online. I rebuilt my Defiant Encore a few years ago, the worst part was dealing with stuck bolts. PB blaster works wonders for these.

Reactions: begreen
Just to make the choice a little harder, there is some reason to suspect the new parts may not be as good as the old ones, or that there may have been batches of bad parts getting through. So you can't assume a rebuild will function and last as well as the original build. There was. for example, a report here that some of the cats were built with the wrong grade of SS, which would cause the cat to distort and destroy the refractory box. So a rebuild, an amateur one especially, may not gain the satisfaction one hopes for - I know our last one didn't!

It's a sign. The VC could be replaced with a nice stove from a respectable company.

Status
Not open for further replies.