Overfireing all night burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Impact1784

Dec 7, 2018
Sanford NC
hey guys!

This is my first post on this forum , however I have been reading this forum for about 2 months . I have gained some invaluable knowledge from everyone here, so thank you.

I have ready many posts about all night burns and what is the best thing to do and all of that. What I have a question about is how do you fill your stove full of wood without overfireing it. I have a US Stove king and I have not been able to put more than 2 or 3 good size logs without my flue temps getting 550 or more.

I wan to be able to have a good all night burn, but I am not sure how to pack the fire box with wood and not burn at 600 degrees. My stove does not have any way to control air flow. The only control is a flue damper I installed in my stove pipe.

hey guys!

This is my first post on this forum , however I have been reading this forum for about 2 months . I have gained some invaluable knowledge from everyone here, so thank you.

I have ready many posts about all night burns and what is the best thing to do and all of that. What I have a question about is how do you fill your stove full of wood without overfireing it. I have a US Stove king and I have not been able to put more than 2 or 3 good size logs without my flue temps getting 550 or more.

I wan to be able to have a good all night burn, but I am not sure how to pack the fire box with wood and not burn at 600 degrees. My stove does not have any way to control air flow. The only control is a flue damper I installed in my stove pipe.
Reread, saw- US Stove king. Any chance of a picture?

hey guys!

Without an air control you will have no way to properly control the stove. And I doubt an overnight burn will be possible.

Overfireing all night burn

Not sure what model you have, but some stoves from that manufacturer seem to be pretty clear that you are not allowed to adjust the burn rate in any way. It says on page one of the 2016e book that you are not allowed to use a damper, too.

Their cast iron ones do appear to have primary air control.

I'd look into a new stove if you want to heat primarily with wood. That's like a car being proudly advertised as having no transmission and no brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashful
Agree with others that getting an overnight burn may be difficult w/o air control. And it does say no damper (most likely because it otherwise will exceed emissions). On the other hand they give a spec of 0.05 for draft with no upper limit except to say short burns and excessive temps indicate too much draft.

How tall is the chimney? If you can't change out the stove, get a reading on your draft. If it's not around 0.05 I would put a damper in it. Anything else is unsafe IMO.

The stove was given to us for free and the previous owner had the same set up, I didn’t think to look it up seeing as they had a similar setup. :(.

We love wood heat and still want to have l, but don’t want to spend a fortune on another stove.

We have a split level house with the stove room on the main level and the heat drafts up the stairs well. Our house is 1700 sq ft with about 150 of that downstairs. We are not to concerned about the downstairs being super warm.

What would be a good recommendation for a stove to heat about 1500-1600 sq ft that I can adjust the air?

I am not a great stove recommender guy but the Englander brand (esp NC30) sold at Home Depot is much loved value brand along with sister brand Summer's Heat.

Reactions: PoconoMama
A 2 cu ft stove will do the job for your climate zone. The Englander 50 SSW01 (madison) (med-lg), Englander 13-NC (med) , Drolet Escape 1800, True North TN20, are all good value stoves that will handle the job and give you much more control. Some of these stoves will want at least 15' flue height and all will want fully seasoned, dry wood to perform well.

seriously, there are stoves that have no air control?

I feel bad for folks that dont no chit about stoves and end up with that.

hey guys!

Here is a way to solve your problem, put crap stove on scrap pile, I dont want you to find out if your house is capable of an all night burn. Seriously Im sorry if Im upsetting you, but that aint right, no air control.

That's why if it was me I don't care what the manual says, stove is getting a damper.
If it was me the stove would get a ride to the dump.

Reactions: jetsam
If it was me the stove would get a ride to the dump.

Yeah that's the best solution. Of course not everyone can just do that on short notice either money wise or time wise. A damper is what like $20 and 10 min install?

Yeah that's the best solution. Of course not everyone can just do that on short notice either money wise or time wise. A damper is what like $20 and 10 min install?

Yeah but a new NC30 is $1000 at full price, and sales happen every year. That easily pays itself back in one season versus the oil or electricity you'd use to fill in the gaps caused by a stove with 3 hour burn time.

The 30 is not a fancy stove but it is functional and most people are able to get a good 8 hours out of it. Its little brother the nc13 has mixed reviews, some people are able to get 8 hours and some aren't (not because it's a worse stove, just because the firebox is smaller.)

Yeah but a new NC30 is $1000 at full price, and sales happen every year. That easily pays itself back in one season versus the oil or electricity you'd use to fill in the gaps caused by a stove with 3 hour burn time.

The 30 is not a fancy stove but it is functional and most people are able to get a good 8 hours out of it.

Yup, that's why I recommended Englander earlier in this thread.