Overnite burn starting with a deep bed of glowing coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand why the stove temp is so darn low (approx 200) and the flu temp is below the safe zone on the Rutland magnetic located about a foot above the stove top.

After the gasses burn off the temp always drops.

The safe zone pertains to creosote formation. Because the gasses have already burned off it is ok to burn in that zone.

Edit:
The safe zone pertains to creosote formation. Because the gasses have already burned off it is ok to burn below the safe zone.

The creosote forming chemicals were burned when the gasses burned.

MnDave

Also, after opening the air as much as possible in the coal burning stage, it takes awhile for the temps to rise but you should see a change in a half hour.
If the temps do not rise, then in my opinion, a $3 stovepipe damper would help harness the heat rather then let it go up the chimney.

MnDave

Spinny. I am not asking about the blower into the plenum. I am asking about an induction blower into the firebox. My guess is that you do not have this.

MnDave

You are correct. I have a bimetal thermostat that controls the damper on the back of the stove. Works well, just takes a while to catch up when a hot fire takes off.

We are still in the construction process, I took these a month ago. My basement walls are now spray foamed and it really keeps the heat in. hitzer2.jpghitzer3.jpghitzer.jpghitzer4.jpg

hitzer2.jpghitzer3.jpg

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Leaving the air control open part way is resulting in higher stove top temps. The coal bed seems to be diminishing as well. So often I've read that you need to work the air control down and I was assuming the control had to be closed off for best secondary action.

Out here in the country, I could have opted for an OWB but I wanted the ambiance of the fires glow. Plus we loose power frequently and I didn't want to be running a generator all night long just to keep a pump running.

Dennis, thanks for your post. I'm sure you are right about opening the draft back up. I'm gonna start leaving it at 1/3 and see what happens. Guess I read too many threads about slow/lazy burns. It's not like I need to be chintzy with the firewood after loosing 300 trees to the tornado last year. I hear you about the Oak. It's stacked all the way in the back and I probably won't even be able to reach it this year anyway,

Wow. That is a lot of trees to lose to a tornado. I saw lots of damage in several areas and one is on some State land near us and the trees were laying in different directions which indicate tornado rather than straight line winds. We have some down but nothing like you!

And yes, leaving the air open some can help a lot. On our stove the draft settings are 0-4. Most times we burn with the draft a little below 1 and it works out great.

Good luck.

Wow. That is a lot of trees to lose to a tornado. I saw lots of damage in several areas and one is on some State land near us and the trees were laying in different directions which indicate tornado rather than straight line winds. We have some down but nothing like you!

And yes, leaving the air open some can help a lot. On our stove the draft settings are 0-4. Most times we burn with the draft a little below 1 and it works out great.

Good luck.

Our south woods looked like a giant game of pick up sticks with trees laying every which way. They took out over 30 double semi loads of trunks. That woods hadn't been culled in almost sixty years!

I took your advice and for starters I'm closing down to about half way as soon as the stove top reaches 400 + degrees. Later I cut it down to 1/3rd, then open back up full. This method is getting me max temps of 550/600 degrees. Yesterday it worked well enough to knock the coal bed down to a reasonable level. Do I dare push it any higher than 600??

We've had our stove top over 700 a few times but barely over 700. Temperatures over 600 are quite normal here. Even 650 is considered normal in our house. I remember being a bit concerned when we topped 700 but also know there is probably a safety margin built in. Then I heard about one party having the stove top over 800! Wow! I'd have had to change clothes for sure if that ever happened. But let it be known that I do not recommend going over 700 degrees on the Fireview.

Status
Not open for further replies.