P61 ESP vs feed rate while in stove temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguy69

Jan 11, 2016
mansfield ohio
If I have my P61 in stove temp mode,which is strictly driven by the esp from which I understand. Where does the feed rate come into play? It seems to me the feed rate does not govern the stove while in stove temp,the stove Is going to continue to feed the amount of pellets it needs for the esp to maintain its current setpoint,regardless if the feed rate is at 1 or 6.is this correct?

If I have my P61 in stove temp mode,which is strictly driven by the esp from which I understand. Where does the feed rate come into play? It seems to me the feed rate does not govern the stove while in stove temp,the stove Is going to continue to feed the amount of pellets it needs for the esp to maintain its current setpoint,regardless if the feed rate is at 1 or 6.is this correct?
I think the feed setting has to do with the duration that the auger motor operates.If you set it at 1 it would need to cycle often to maintain temps.Set it at 4 and it does not need to turn on and off every other second.I need to read up on this.https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-your-harman-works-what-your-manual-doesnt-tell-you.91030/

I think the feed setting has to do with the duration that the auger motor operates.If you set it at 1 it would need to cycle often to maintain temps.Set it at 4 and it does not need to turn on and off every other second.I need to read up on this.https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-your-harman-works-what-your-manual-doesnt-tell-you.91030/
I just timed my stove and with the feed rate on 1 and the stove on 3 stove temp. The auger does 1 cycle every minute. With the feed on 1.5 it cycles once the first minute,twice the second minute.once the third minute,and twice the fourth minute and so on. I then put the feed rate at 4 and got the same feed cycles as it did on feed rate of 1.5.just wish we had more information on there algorithms

You are setting the Max feed rate that you are allowing the stove to feed. If you set the feed rate on 4, if the ESP decides it needs more heat, then it will raise it's internal feed rate to a max of 4. If you set the feed rate at 1, that is the max feed rate it can achieve.

Thanks bogieb. Ever flirt with the idea of adding a damper on the intake of your harman?

You are setting the Max feed rate that you are allowing the stove to feed. If you set the feed rate on 4, if the ESP decides it needs more heat, then it will raise it's internal feed rate to a max of 4. If you set the feed rate at 1, that is the max feed rate it can achieve.
How ya feelin Bo?I heard though the grapevine that your noggin took a floggin.Hope for a speedy recovery.:)

Thanks bogieb. Ever flirt with the idea of adding a damper on the intake of your harman?

I'm pretty sure it has a flapper already. Could be wrong on that account though.

How ya feelin Bo?I heard though the grapevine that your noggin took a floggin.Hope for a speedy recovery.:)

Thanks - I'm doing better. Had some enforced time off because my intense concentration on two computer screens at work all day was making me light headed. Go back to work next week (tomorrow is a vacation day anyway). Light home use of the computer doesn't really bother me - but I have kept it light.

Reactions: Harmanizer
That flapper is incase of a blowback,or if there was a power outage it shuts so smoke doesn't come out. I'm talking about an actual adjustable damper. I found on level 1 through 4 wide open is to much air.if I close off the intake by over half the stove temp will jump up over 100 degrees

That flapper is incase of a blowback,or if there was a power outage it shuts so smoke doesn't come out. I'm talking about an actual adjustable damper. I found on level 1 through 4 wide open is to much air.if I close off the intake by over half the stove temp will jump up over 100 degrees

What damper so you recommend?

Have you tried adjusting the low draft adjustment port.
upload_2016-12-16_13-33-48.png
I'm pretty sure dampers are not recommended.

Combustion
Motor Speed
Control
Low draft only
set point.
The small straight
screwdriver slot is
plastic; therefore,
the unit can be
adjusted while in
operation.

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-16_13-33-7.png
    upload_2016-12-16_13-33-7.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 91
Unfortunately it's a 2000 model with no draft blower adjustment

Luckily I just ordered a brand new Platinum Control board, Igniter, cradle and control board plate for my P61-2. I had the 2 bolts on my burn pot so I'm good to go. I was wondering about the ramifications of covering the intake partially as well.

Does anyone have a good write up on adding the igniter to the P61s? I have found a lot of igniter replacement pots but I haven't been able to find one on adding it to a stove without it.

What's the platinum control board?

I wonder how much differant it is. My dealer has that one and then another older version. Both the same price

Dealer said nothing has changed since adding the draft blower adjustment. Says the only reason for change in part numbers is they changed to a new company for making the boards. Idk how true that is

You are going completely off the reservation by even considering a damper on the intake of a Harman. The stove is pretty "smart" even if it is an older one. Once you know how to operate it properly and you understand the feed rate, you'll get everything you want and more out of it.

Well when I do damper the intake I get higher stoves temps,cooler exhaust temps,isn't that what we want?. Feed rate never seems to change much on my stove for some reason no matter where it's set it will chew through the same amount in 24 hours

I bought the Platinum because it was being offered on eBay from a reputable seller that offers a 14 day return, not even Harman let's you return boards if there is a problem. So I don't know if it's better or not; I think it's just the most up to date version of the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.