P61 keeps shutting off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zackwbutler

Feb 7, 2021
New York
I installed my recently purchased refurbished harman p61 pellet stove. I ran it last night prior to having the fresh air kit hooked up as I was missing a couple pieces. I set it to temp mode 70 and it fired up and ran for 15-20 minutes and shut off. I assumed this was because the room was above 70? Since it shut down I left it off for the night as I wanted to get the fresh air hooked up. I got that hooked up today and just fired it up again and it ran for 15-20 minutes and seems to have shut down again. Only the combustion blower is running. Nothing else. Is this common in temp mode? Is something wrong? I didn’t anticipate it would shut off so frequently. I haven’t seen any status flashing lights. Is there something going on?

If it’s in room temp mode, set for 70*F and the room warms to 70 it will shut down. Turn the temp up if you haven’t and report back.

I bumped the temp
Switch up just a hair and it lit everything back up and proceeded to run again. I didn’t think it would shut off so soon. Reading the manual I figured it would run at a low amount for a while before it would just shut off. I’m now trying to find the optimal settings. Room temp is set at 73-74 and feed rate at 4. I’m not getting any pellets towards the end of the burn pot. The end of the pellets are about 2-3 inches from the edge of the pot. Which makes me think I need to feed it more?

I bumped the temp
Switch up just a hair and it lit everything back up and proceeded to run again. I didn’t think it would shut off so soon. Reading the manual I figured it would run at a low amount for a while before it would just shut off. I’m now trying to find the optimal settings. Room temp is set at 73-74 and feed rate at 4. I’m not getting any pellets towards the end of the burn pot. The end of the pellets are about 2-3 inches from the edge of the pot. Which makes me think I need to feed it more?
I wouldn’t worry about the pellets being that far back. A feed rate of 4 ought to be fine but if you want the stove to ramp up less aggressively and burn longer between firings you could turn the feed rate down a bit.

I had the feed rate on 3 with it at 70 and it shut off quick. I’m new to this lol. Just nervous and want to make sure it’s good to go.

I bumped the temp
Click on the link in my signature....it will give you some much needed information as to how a Harman works.

Reactions: ABusWrench
Click on the link in my signature....it will give you some much needed information as to how a Harman works.
Thank you for that! After reading through that. The poster had mentioned something about a maintenance burn when the igniter was switched to manual. Out of curiosity if I left it in temp mode, and switched the igniter to manual, would that prevent the stove from shutting off if the temp got too high?

Thank you for that! After reading through that. The poster had mentioned something about a maintenance burn when the igniter was switched to manual. Out of curiosity if I left it in temp mode, and switched the igniter to manual, would that prevent the stove from shutting off if the temp got too high?
Yes. In room temp mode on manual it will go into a low burn/maintenance burn once it reaches the set temp, it won't shut off. Then it will ramp back to reach set temp when it calls for heat again. The thermostat and the esp probe will not let it over heat.

It sounds like it’s working the way it should, trial and experimentation is one of the best ways to learn how your stove operates optimally...and here a photo of a normal burn on my P61A...2-3” from the end of the burn pot is pretty normal

Attachments

• 94CBDA22-4470-4459-AE73-EBEC0064248F.jpeg
    94CBDA22-4470-4459-AE73-EBEC0064248F.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: Zackwbutler
It sounds like it’s working the way it should, trial and experimentation is one of the best ways to learn how your stove operates optimally...and here a photo of a normal burn on my P61A...2-3” from the end of the burn pot is pretty normal
That’s about where mine is at. I shut it off tonight because I don’t like how hot the wall is getting on the one side. I read the install wrong and thought I had enough space. The dealer that sold me all the piping and the stove said I was good to go so I positioned the stove in the corner where I wanted it, with all the piping I had and it sits 12” from the wall on the right side. Specs say min 13” without shields and 9 with. I thought it was just 9. So I’m going to call and ask about shields for it tomorrow. I can’t find any online.

Reactions: Washed-Up
As for shields, if you’re handy, 1/2 inch cement board to cover the wall space you want,and dress the front of it with a non combustible tile. I find things like that easy and enjoyable, but it’s not for everyone

Last edited: