P61A Power Draw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny1

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2006
Eastern ON
I have been thinking about power back up for my Harman P61A.

In looking in the manual, I see that the spec table on page 23 shows that fuse rating is 5A.

However, the wiring diagram on page 26 lists the stove as 480W 4.0A 120VAC 60Hz.

Furthermore, the wiring diagram shows a 6A glass fuse on the ESP control board.

I really hate it when a manual is not consistent.

So how much power does a P61A draw? I borrowed a power meter, and took some measurements.

When starting up (ignitor is on and the auger is running), the draw was 372W.

When the ignitor stops, and the auger is running and the distribution fan is on lo, the power draw is 128W.

With the auger is running and the distribution fan is on med, the power draw is 136W.

With the auger is running and the distribution fan is on hi, the power draw is 152W.

Without the auger running and the distribution fan is on lo, the power draw is 93.6W. So the auger is drawing about 35W.

Finally, in shut down mode, the unit was drawing about 46.1W.

Useful info if you want to size a UPS for backup.

Kenny

Well you just figured out the current draw
p
----- = I
v

or
watts
------ = current (amps)
volts

372watts
----------- = 3.1 amps
120volts

If your stove is running when the power goes out you don't have to worry about the ignitor wattage.
Also the fuse is to protect from over current and short circuits, like if your auger binds on a pellet the auger motor's current will increase.
Don't know which fuse is in the p61 but size for the potential full load which should be on the nameplate on the back of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.