P68 draft/combustion blower voltages change while running?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
in in the process of installing a p68 and before connecting to the vent i thought i wiuld run a few tests on it. I have a draft meter set up and also a harman diognostic to see what the stove is doing. So with the stove in test mode all motors run. However,i noticed something odd with the combustion blower. The needle on the draft meter didnt move as the motor was changing from high to low speed. It stayed on .8 while running at both high and low. So i connected the diognostic meter and saw that while the convection blower worked normal showing 57v on low and 119v on high the combustion blower gave me a steady reading of 97v and never changed even though the blower is supposed to run on high and then drop to low. Anyone know what might be going on here. This is a used stove and is 3yrs old. I have 120v at the outlet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 160
The combustion blower runs at a constant speed on a Harman. Only the the distribution blower changes speed. What you are seeing is normal operation.

Reactions: bags
in in the process of installing a p68 and before connecting to the vent i thought i wiuld run a few tests on it. I have a draft meter set up and also a harman diognostic to see what the stove is doing. So with the stove in test mode all motors run. However,i noticed something odd with the combustion blower. The needle on the draft meter didnt move as the motor was changing from high to low speed. It stayed on .8 while running at both high and low. So i connected the diognostic meter and saw that while the convection blower worked normal showing 57v on low and 119v on high the combustion blower gave me a steady reading of 97v and never changed even though the blower is supposed to run on high and then drop to low. Anyone know what might be going on here. This is a used stove and is 3yrs old. I have 120v at the outlet
The combustion blower runs at a constant speed on a Harman. Only the the distribution blower changes speed. What you are seeing is normal operation.
ty for your reply. Now i am confused. I have an advance in the basement that does the opposite. Attatched are a fee pics. The convection blower again runs at 119 v on high and 57 when it drops to low. However the combustion blower runs at 119v on high and 97 on low. The magna gauge also drops as the combustion blower voltage changes. So you think the p68 is fine?? What are the numbers on the advance indicating? Ty again Corkman

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 126
I am going to try and change thread title to attract others as I don't want to fire up a Harman to check.

I have a p68 and test the combustion blower changes from top to bottom has every minute. potensiometre tone adjustment should be maximum that's why the speed of the blower does not vary

I have a p68 and test the combustion blower changes from top to bottom has every minute. potensiometre tone adjustment should be maximum that's why the speed of the blower does not vary
not sure what you mesn by potensiometer tone adjustment

Draft fan adjustment pot switch.

So there is some conflicting info above and I don't like to muddy the waters. My experience is the combustion fan should run at a constant voltage, the only adjustment of that voltage is when a draft test is being performed and an adjustment is being made via the small draft adjustment screw on the control board. Most of us can't do that unless you have the equipment the OP has above. As we all know, the distribution blower is variable speed because we can manually change it right on the stove.

Bio....you're gonna have to fire up that Harman and run a test to settle this ;lol

I have a draft tester when I'm testing high = 0.65'' H2O
and min = 0.35'' H2O and speed of the combustion blower has changed every minute high to low

Not to muddy things even more but values may change if the stove is running and not when the stove is cold as the ESP helps control things.

I have a draft tester when I'm testing high = 0.65'' H2O
and min = 0.35'' H2O and speed of the combustion blower has changed every minute high to low
....yes but are you turning the draft adjustment screw to obtain those different readings?

I adjust the draft as the procedure in the manual
NOTE: Test mode alternates between top draw
and pulling down every 60 seconds. If you need
more time to adjust the draw, wait until
Next pull-down cycle

im back.so i had a chance today to go check out another p68.on this particular stove the combustion blower voltage changes just like my advance in the basement.while the combustion blower was on high and reading 119v the room blower was reading 57v while running on low.after a minute or so combustion blower dropped to 93v on low and room blower 119 while on high.
the combustion blower on my p68 never sees 119v.just a constant 97v.
i also noticed his board and dipswitch settings are different than mine.
his board #3-20-05374d with dip switches at 00000011
my board #3-20-05886e with dip switches at 10101111 with red esp wires

Throw pellets in it and enjoy the heat. Try not to fix things that aren't broken. A guy last year was tinkering with a new perfectly running stove and fried his board because he forgot the unplug trick before "fixing" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.