Pacific Dogwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxdave

Burning Hunk
Aug 16, 2010
Kirkland, WA
Got a descent score of what turns out is Dogwood. I figure close to 1 cord total. Friend called me up and said he had a tree taken down.. I asked what and he said I dont know, something deciduous. I was worried it would be Cottonwood but once I got there and picked up a piece I was amazed at the density. So 2 truckloads later Ive got it home and started splitting/stacking. The best thing is it's super easy to split ! Is all hardwoods like this? In the NW we have mostly softwoods and alot of them are tougher to split despite being way less dense. A good sharp crack with the Fiskars and even the gnarly rounds pop in half. It was a big tree for the species, several rounds 18"-24".

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 313
I have a small amount of dogwood in my stacks. It is very dense and heavy, but splits super easy. Burns like coal once its dried out.

I have a small amount of dogwood in my stacks. It is very dense and heavy, but splits super easy. Burns like coal once its dried out.
How long does it need to season? Would I be crazy to try burning a load of it next winter?

^^^ ;lol ^^^^

I didn't realize dogwood got THAT big.
At least I never seen any on this side of the country that large.

How long does it need to season? Would I be crazy to try burning a load of it next winter?

I've had it for a year, and its still drying out. MM is still high.

I've had it for a year, and its still drying out. MM is still high.
I have a small amount of dogwood that was cut in November of 2014 but haven't burnt any of it yet. I did note that it is very dense. All the BTU charts say it is great firewood. A cord of that is a great score!

I agree it is very big for its species. I have one growing in my front yard (its a Japanese dogwood) and the Y's are nowhere near as big as what you have there. Those must weigh a ton, because even small pieces feel like a pile of bricks and surprise you in their weight.

Dense woods often seem to be slow to dry. I wouldn't plan on burning it this coming winter, especially since we don't exactly have the best seasoning climate in the NW.

It's a pity to have to cut down a dogwood that big.

I didn't realize dogwood got THAT big.
At least I never seen any on this side of the country that large.
Yup apparently the tree service was amazed at its size too. I agree its a shame to remove but was already a done deal when i got word about the wood. Theres also a stand of freekishly sized laurels (like 12+") next to it, apparently some of these may be coming down at some point too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.