Pacific Energy Pacific Insert Cracks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey All,

I'm on my 4th season with a PE summit, bought new in 2014 with a professional install. I'm on my second baffle, the second of which is 1 year old and showing downward warping. The first had the fiber board top which cracked in several locations. The second baffle has the solid metal top. I've never overheated the stove!

Lately I've noticed that the stove tends to get hotter than in the past with the air intake totally closed, using it the same manner as in the past (air open, temp up to 450-500, shut the damper, let it climb to 650 and then coast for the duration of the burn). I've also noticed my burn times starting to decrease. Maybe I'm using better, drier wood?? I suspect maybe a door gasket leak, or at least hope this is all it is... I plan to do a good clean and inspection later this month when I shut her down for the season. I'm hopeful I don't find any cracks or leak sources. I too will be fairly miffed if my 4 year old stove has significant issues. I'll report back with findings.
The new style baffles have a fiberboard on top, the old style has a ceramic blanket with a metal cover on them. You can try cutting the air back a little sooner, &/or loading larger splits. If you're loading smaller splits, it will burn hotter and shorter. Wood species will also dictate how long burn times last. Dry wood should not reduce burn times, at least I have never had that issue, other than my first year where wet wood smouldered for hours longer, obviously because it was not prime ready to burn.

I don't know your flue set up, but 600 for me is way too high to be setting the air back at. I cut back about 400 measured as insert face above both door corners. And she takes it from there. Even is I don't get secondaries right away, it will get itself above 600 on it's own, over 700, and then give the same flame show you speak of for the next few hours. I have 27' of liner, and must cut the air all the way back.
I don't reload for another 12hours, longer in shoulder season. Try experimenting more with air settings at different temps. If I cut the air back at 600, it would be north to 800 in 20-30 minutes.

Hey, our chimney is about 20 feet of SS lined brick, all outside.
Two 90 bends and a 3 foot section of vert and 1 foot (maybe 16" I'd have to go measure to be sure) section of horizontal to get there (stove is in the basement).
Our stove settles fairly quickly. If we run it up to 600 and close things down, she slowly climbs to about 650 over the next 15-20 mins then settles from there for a few hours then begins the slow descent. We do 8 hour burns in the heart of heating season and 12 in the shoulder. Burning mostly ash and maple with a bit of oak and elm now and then.
Our secondaries seem a little more temperamental, if I don't run it up to this temp (or close anyhow) before closing things down then we won't get secondaries, or if we do, they're short lived. Running it up to 600 and then closing gives us the longer air jet burn time. But if we don't get them while closing down, she'll never get there.

I will keep playing for sure and appreciate the guidance!
Take care and enjoy the weekend....

Last edited:
Stove top temps alone are not a good guide. Our stove also has 20ft of chimney, straight up. I don't go by stove top temps for setting the air control. On a cold start if I waited until the stove top got to 600ºF before turning down the air, the flue temp would pass 1200º! !!! On a typical cold start I am starting to close down the air 50% by the flue temp of 450-500º maximum (double-wall probe thermometer). At that point the stove top might be only 250º. You can also do this visually without a flue thermometer. At this point, with dry wood, the fire is burning vigorously. Turn down the air 50%. Both the flue and stove temps will continue to rise. Secondary combustion will start. Let it burn this way for another 2-5 minutes, then turn down the air another 50% or more. Flue temp at this point may be 500º. Turn the air down enough to slow down the fire, but not to make it smolder. If the fire regains strength and vigor, turn it down more at that point until secondary flame is still present, but more lazy and ghost like.

Example: This morning's fire start I started to turn the air down to 50% after about 8 minutes - flue temp 400º, stove top 225ª. And then to go from 1/2 open air control to 1/4 open about 4 minutes later. Flue temp 500º, stove top 300º The air is fully closed about 5 minutes later with a flue temp of ~600F and stove top temp at 450º and climbing steadily. This is with a 2/3d load of wood in the stove, 4 thick splits of doug fir.

Your starts may vary. A lot of the timing during start up will depend on the wood, how dry it is, the thickness of the splits, how much of a gap there is between the splits, etc. but the process is the same. Use your eye if you don't have a flue thermometer, but I recommend getting one to have better control and to reduce stress on the flue system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sailrmike
Hey BG, ok, wait now I think we've all been talking two different things, if I led you to believe I was talking on cold starts I apologise, what I've been talking about is during reload. I'll have to go back through my posts and see if I've been misleading.....

Generally, with our climate, once the stove gets lit in mid October we normally don't do a cold start all season long unless we go away for the weekend. So cold starts for us are really few and far between, so generally they aren't on my mind (although the recent weather has had us doing more cold starts then normal so I'll say that with cautiously). What I was referring to was a reload routine say in the morning.

Lets say I get up in the morning, stove has been burning all night.....stove might be at 200-300F (dont quote that number, I haven't measure a morning temp in a while) and flue would be lower (Our flue thermometer, installed this year, is above our damper so it's common for us to see higher stove temps than flue temps after the flue damper is started into use). I'll open everything up (air intake and flue damper, rake the coals ahead (unload some ash first if required, maybe once a week), load the wood and close the door....generally go up and pour a mug of coffee. I'll come back down in a few minutes to start closing down. After the fire gets rolling the flue will certainly be hotter then the stove body so I'll close the flue damper to maybe 1/2, maybe more, at this point the flue may climb a bit but the climb will be slowed, after a few more, when the stove body is up around 600 I shut the air intake right down and then take it off "L" just ever so slightly, by this point the flue and stove are almost equal. I then set the flue damper further closed as much as I can to maintain the air jets and then that's it until the next load....from here the stove body may climb a bit but the flue will generally stay the same or even start to drop if I closed the damper a fair bit more after the final "close down".
With the flue damper I can control the flue temperature pretty quickly.

Now as you state, this can all change a bit depending on wood, outside pressure, etc etc.....
For example: Sometimes on really cold days I'll tend to close the air intake down first as I want a little more heat in the chimney....
On a -30 sunny high pressure day I may never end up closing the flue damper more then say 1/3 otherwise we can't draft enough to keep much going properly (outside brick chimney) but we only get a week or two a year like this......

Only thing I can think of is perhaps our IR gun is off and maybe we actually don't hit 600F?
I guess it would be a god excuse to get another. As I mentioned in previous emails I haven't been using the IR gun much because the routine is pretty repeatable each re-load.
The big thing for me (and call me old school) is watching that firebox, if it's full of flames, for me that's too much (either draft or intake).

In the case of a cold start, sure I can see the stove body taking much longer to reach temperature before the flue is long past a point where some control needs to happen (IE start closing something).
During a cold start I'd likely start closing the damper long before the stove body is heated otherwise that's a lot of heat running rampant up the chimney. But again, we might do maybe a half dozen cold starts in a season, if that even? So I've been more concerned with the day to day routines that I figured would have more of an impact on the final longevity of the stove's life.

I think in our case, what might make things different depending on if you have a flue damper or not, is our flue damper and having the flue thermometer above it.
If I were to, for example, run things and watch the two temps climb, if I close the flue damper even to just 1/2, I can fairly quickly control the flue temperature. If I close it even more I can almost reverse the flue temp increase (IE it will start to drop) yet the stove body will continue to climb.
Where as if I close the air intake on the stove, It generally affects both the flue and the stove temps.

Perhaps I grew up and have some habits from how I learned to run older stoves?
Please feel free to comment if you see anything I'm doing that sounds like a "ah ha, that's not right" situation.

But in my mind if the firebox is not full of flames and the stove top and chimney run less than 600 (actually once we're running the flue is generally only around 400-450, I like to try and let as little heat up the chimney as possible while maintaining a decent clear exhaust and enough draft to run the air jets) while the stove body is in the 600 range then are these not all decent indicators that I'm not overfiring?

Just want to say thanks to everyone on this board making suggestions (especially @begreen and @Hogwildz) etc. I apologise if my posts got a little frustrated sounding....doing my best to remain patient and ensure we learn what we can from the experience.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are doing the right thing and pretty mindful of how the stove is burning. I too rely on visual guidance in addition to the measured temps. The temp inversion (lower flue than stovetop temp) is normal once the air is closed down. Our stove runs about 100º cooler in the flue than the stove top at peak burn.

No need to apologize. If I was in your shoes I'd be expressing the same concerns. I'm glad you have a good dealer. I bought our stove from Tom Oyen in Bellingham. He is a wealth of knowledge on these stoves and may have some insight. maybe start a PM with @thechimneysweep ?

I would control the stove air intake lever, then fine adjust with the flue damper after the stove is established. I wonder if the flue getting hotter first or more than normal, is creating a stronger draft issue?