Pacific Energy Spectrum bricks cracked, is that normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty Grant

Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2006
Hi I just picked up a 2000 Spectrum that has been used 7 years then stored for three years, it looks great no cracks in the welds behind bricks but 3 of the bricks are cracked with 2 that are flaking and the wood door handle has been scorched. I looked real close with a flashlight and can not see any damage. Does this sound normal? Thanks Ty

My 10-year-old Lopi has cracked bricks, and suffers no ill effects. Sounds like normal wear. As long as there are no missing chunks, it's good to go.

This didn't come with a blower, is the dealer the only place to get one or are there better after market ones available?
Thanks for all the help this is a great site. Ty

for sure, get the blower irregardless of where you have to get it... It'll pay itself back in a yr... the bricks are commonly availiable @ 3 bucks/pc

Scorched door handle is slightly concerning.

Hogwildz said:
Scorched door handle is slightly concerning.
Yeah, good point. Can you post some pics of it inside and out?

I disassembled the stove and cleaned out firebox, sorry to see some of the same things I have seen in other posts out side welds look fine but face of stove has cracks near top corner of door both sides and inside top of firebox door frame looks like weld is separated. Baffle and rails are warped and crack on front face. Has anyone had any luck with Pacific Energy replacing these things?
Thanks Ty

Hers the pics

Attachments

• IMGP2677.jpg
    IMGP2677.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 290
  • IMGP2675.jpg
    IMGP2675.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 292
  • IMGP2674.jpg
    IMGP2674.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 291
  • IMGP2676.jpg
    IMGP2676.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 289
PE website says warranty applies to original purchaser:
http://www.pacificenergy.net/warranty.php
Also says not applicable to "misuse". Scorched handle could maybe be used as evidence of over firing.

On the upside, the door cracks would be relatively easy to grind out using a carbide burr in a die grinder and reweld. I'll let those with personal experience weigh in on this one, but I'd guess that this could still be a great stove with just a little fixin'. If you know a weldor, you're set. If you have to bring it into a shop, it should still be a pretty easy fix. Not sure about the baffle. Might be fine, even though it's warped. Hogz will have better answers for you.

It does look like it has similar issues as Hog's stove and mine. As Madrone stated, if you are not the original owner, the warranty may not apply. Also, as Hog stated, the scorched handle could be evidence of over-firing.

Since you are not the original owner, you do not know how the stove was operated in the past. However, don't let that discourage you. I would speak with Cory Iversen from PE. Their toll free number is 1-888-223-0088.

If your stove was manufactured in 2000, it might be a pre-stainless steel baffle and side rails model. If the stove isn't under warranty, you can pick up a PE baffle kit, that includes a stainless-steel baffle and side rail insulation, for about $200.00. I am not sure how much the stainless side rails would cost, but I don't think that they would too expensive. When I dealt with Cory from PE, he stated that cracked interior welds in the firebox were not a huge concern. However, I think the cracks in the steel should be definitely be repaired, as per Madrone's suggestion.

Either way, talk to Cory and see what he suggests.

Status
Not open for further replies.