Pacific Energy Summit Insert series B

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

P_Ceg

Jan 12, 2021
long island
Hello, I had installed a used summit insert in early December, at first she was a champion then about a month into regular use things degraded. Let me add I am a total newbie, I have no idea whats going, Im learning. With that said I assumed the wood to be the issue, but that wasn't it. Ive come to the conclusion that air is the issue. This unit is setup for inside are intake... I now realize that this stove is very advanced after reading through all the threads here. I took out the baffle and cleaned it with some air, I also blew out the boost air in the front but nothing came out not even the air i was blowing thru... which confused me. I started another fire but same issues, I have to leave the front door crack to keep the fire going with 1.5 year seasoned cherry...that should burn like dry tinder it nearly goes out when i shut the door tight. So today i probed the back air intake inside the unit to see if anything was plugged up, it was clear, but i did notice on the outside bottom of the stove some fine dust dropping from the intake and i watched this dust head back into the fire place, this makes me think that the stove isn't pulling air in from this area. I have a 25' chimney which is central to the house with liner running the whole way. I also do not have the part called "Quadrant shield" Part#3536.01 Ill post some picks from when I first had it installed and how it burns now

20201205_094937.jpg20201217_080748.jpg20201227_105155.jpg20201227_105150.jpg

The top and bottom pics are when it first installed
this pic i can straight through the unit thats where the dust drifted to go up the chimney that screw is something I did to keep the boost are lever snug to the the unit...

20210112_160553.jpg

It's not likely to be a clogged primary or boost air passage, but could be a clogged secondary tube if the stove was cleaned without a rag stuck in it.

Have you checked the chimney cap for plugging of the screen?

How have you verified it's not the wood?

thanks for the reply, chimney cap has some creo on it but it is clear enough to allow draft. When I probe the rear air intake i didn't feel any obstructions and could scrape against the metal on the bottom. So I think shes clear?? The wood sat in my house for 2 weeks prior to being out side for over year, it was bone dry, when i did a burn on sunday, i put a piece on a hot bed of coals and she went up immediately (Cherry) I purchased a moisture meter but haven't received it yet, ill test the wood with that as well, with that said im using that same wood from when i first installed the stove and as you can I didn't have any issues. I felled and split the wood myself so know eaxclty how long it has been drying. thanks!

If crud dropped down the secondary tube it could be blocking the EBT. A probe won't feel that. But if you have always stuffed a rag into the secondary supply tube then that is unlikely. Does your insert have the insulation blanket, exposed, on top of the baffle? If so, make sure it is not bunched up and obstructing the flue exit. And take a closer look at the cap screen. Maybe try running the stove with the cap off for a day?

The top and bottom pics are when it first installed
this pic i can straight through the unit thats where the dust drifted to go up the chimney that screw is something I did to keep the boost are lever snug to the the unit...

View attachment 271800
This perplexes me. I have never heard this being an issue and strongly doubt it is necessary. The primary air never closes off 100%.

thanks for the replies, I went back up on the roof and cleaned the screen, I covered the back tube first, thanks for that, there is no blanket on the baffle just hard insulation. I stared a fire now and notice a difference, fire seems happy ATM with the door sealed shut, Ill wait to see when things warm up, should get better.

@begreen, yeah being that i bought the unit used i would think this lever should be snug to the unit, it was flopping in the wind before, i understand that its never fully closed but I wanted bettter control of the air..I could be wrong, and have before. thanks!

Good to hear there is an improvement.

That's too bad about the air control. It should have has a tension spring on the pivot screw. Ours has never been adjusted after 11 yrs of service.

20210113_161911.jpg

got smalls in there now but this is 10 mins in and the door has been shut, looks like that was the issue, thanks for the help, I'm going to replace the mesh I have with chicken wire, why not a cap you ask, because is have a stone over my flue and can't fit anything to fancy just need to keep birds out.

Thank you