Pacific Energy T5 COST

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is there a good quality steel stove built 100% here in the U.S.A.?
Travis industries (I forget their brands Lopi??)
Kuma ( only cat stoves?)
True North is PEs value brand
Jotul are assembled here. Casting are imported
Woodstock
Just to name a few.

Availability will be the biggest hurdle.

Englander, Lopi, Quadafire, Buck, Appalachian, Kuma, Woodstock, & Country stoves are made in the USA.

"As good as" is subjective. What sets PE stoves apart is their unique floating stainless baffle system and modulated secondary air. Some other model lines have unique features like the cast iron jacketed Alderleas with the swing away trivet top. And their mainline fireboxes are N/S loaders. This is my preferred loading method. Note that PE stoves are made in Canada, like Regency, Napoleon, and SBI stoves (Drolet, Osburn). Jotuls sold in the US are assembled in Maine from castings made in Norway.

Several of the above-listed companies make very good stoves. In the mid-sized range, the Lopi Endeavor and Quadrafire Millenium 3000 are nice heaters and quite popular. A friend has been running his 1997 Lopi Endeavor for a long time now. The Country Canyon S310 is a serious heat machine. There are several reviews on Hearth.com of the Englander (now an SBI company) Madison 50-SW02. And there are many very happy owners of mid-sized Drolet and Osburns. They are built well and have good customer service.

Reactions: EbS-P
BK is made in the US too, right?
Cat stoves tho

Kuma ( only cat stoves?)
Woodstock
Just to name a few.

I was wondering about the Kuma stoves, Not interested now that I know they are cat stoves.

Englander, Lopi, Quadafire, Buck, Appalachian, Kuma, Woodstock, & Country stoves are made in the USA.

"As good as" is subjective. What sets PE stoves apart is their unique floating stainless baffle system and modulated secondary air. Some other model lines have unique features like the cast iron jacketed Alderleas with the swing away trivet top. And their mainline fireboxes are N/S loaders. This is my preferred loading method. Note that PE stoves are made in Canada, like Regency, Napoleon, and SBI stoves (Drolet, Osburn). Jotuls sold in the US are assembled in Maine from castings made in Norway.

Several of the above-listed companies make very good stoves. In the mid-sized range, the Lopi Endeavor and Quadrafire Millenium 3000 are nice heaters and quite popular. A friend has been running his 1997 Lopi Endeavor for a long time now. The Country Canyon S310 is a serious heat machine. There are several reviews on Hearth.com of the Englander (now an SBI company) Madison 50-SW02. And there are many very happy owners of mid-sized Drolet and Osburns. They are built well and have good customer service.
I would have been very happy with my Lopi model 1250 if it had been a little bigger, I let the salesman talk me into it because it was my first wood burner in Texas and really didn't know what size I needed. Anyway, I'm sure the Endeavor is a great stove but for the changes that you told me about. I know that I don't want a cat stove but other than the Lopi I haven't had any experience with any other one except a Dutchwest back in Tennessee. The forum sold me on the PE but I don't think this will happen this year, we will see.

Last edited:
Kuma ( only cat stoves?)
Woodstock
Just to name a few.

Yes, I have been running into that everywhere I go!

The Endeavor is still a great stove. It's well made and a good performer. The trick is finding one at a reasonable price. If nothing shows up in stock, another option is to order a stove online. The Drolet Escape 1800 would get the job done if loading 16" splits N/S is ok.

They had a huge “catalyst only stove”, but I’m pretty sure they dropped it. It was called the Sequioa.

Now they are hybrids (have catalysts and secondary tubes) claiming the most efficiency of any wood burning stove (maybe at burning all the fuel cleanly) made.

I think many wood burners, me included, also think of “fuel mileage” (the distance a fuel tank glean go) as well when we think of efficiency.

In that regard for the “cleanest burning stoves” their burn times actually suck in my estimation when you consider them a hybrid, considering they have a catalyst.

Basically all they did was take their secondary air tube stoves and add a catalyst to clean up the burn some more to meet 2020 regulations. Ok…I’m fine with that. So if you look at them as a secondary air tube stove their burn times are comparable to other tube stoves like Lopi, etc. I’m fine with that type of thinking as well.

Here’s a link… https://kumastorage.blob.core.windows.net/content/images/PDF Manuals/K-250_FS_Rev.current.pdf

I’m personally see the catalyst addition to their stoves as just an attempt to satisfy 2020 regulations, so I tend to still look at them as a secondary air stove that mow burns even more cleanly.

I have an older brick lined top Lopi Liberty…a well made tank of a stove. I’ve love Lopi’s. I’d take a Kuma in a second. They are just as well made as the Lopi.

I’m not sure, without looking and comparing, that they would burn as clean as a Looi without though without having the catalyst. Even if they did it wouldn’t matter to me. I’d pick the Lopi simply because of less maintenance cost having to buy catalysts.

If you want a catalyst stoves, there’s only one. LOL! Least in my opinion…

For your sq ft I’m not sure about the Lopi Endeavor. It seems to big…maybe.

Begreen mentioned Drolet stoves (one of several stoves made by SBI)…I would hesitate to buy one of these and save money. Well made units, for sure.

The Endeavor is still a great stove. It's well made and a good performer. The trick is finding one at a reasonable price. If nothing shows up in stock, another option is to order a stove online. The Drolet Escape 1800 would get the job done if loading 16" splits N/S is ok.
I called a Lopi dealer today, actually the place I bought my stove and ask about an endeavor, all sold out, he did have one Liberty NexGen for $4,500.00 I think I waited too long!

For your sq ft I’m not sure about the Lopi Endeavor. It seems to big…maybe.

Begreen mentioned Drolet stoves (one of several stoves made by SBI)…I would hesitate to buy one of these and save money. Well made units, for sure.
Well there is only one rating since 2020 for a Drolet 1800 and three back in 2013 so I think I will pass on it. I would like to see more good reviews before buying.

Well there is only one rating since 2020 for a Drolet 1800 and three back in 2013 so I think I will pass on it. I would like to see more good reviews before buying.
Forget the ratings. Most of those folks aren’t into stoves like forum members here are.

Do a search here for any model SBI stove: Drolet, Englander, Osburn, and some others. Those SBI stoves, most all of them are raved about on this forum and other stove forums by those members who own them. They’re built very well. I know…myself and others have done their research and they’re made as good as Kuma, Lopi, Regency…and are some of the best stoves made.

No joke…ask others here….SBI has some of the cheapest priced available parts…that are rarely needed…and their customer service is top notch and second to none.

Just because you don’t see a rating in a particular stove doesn’t mean squat. Better off to ask others here besides myself and research this forum and others for the best available information.

These forum members here, and especially the moderators, spend a tremendous amount of time not only on this forum helping folks, but also reading and learning about as many stove models as they can…again, so they can help people. Some of these folks have put in a lot of time researching everything wood stove and chimney related.

Pick their brains…that’s why we are here…to help you make an informed personal decision you will be happy with.

As a nonDrolet user, I can second what he said. Drolet appears to be a solid, high quality brand. I don't see issues being discussed here with their stoves. (Sometimes with chimneys hooked up to a Drolet.)

Osborn is the "Lexus" of the Drolet ("Toyota").

Reactions: Hoytman
25 loads in my1800i (same fire box as the 1800) I would have no issues making that purchase again. It’s not flashy. It’s not emotional. I don’t have to justify to myself the extra cost like I do with the Jotul.

My only decision would be 1800 or 2100! The design is solid and proven. Blowers are quiet enough. You might break a baffle. Mine came broken down the middle in two. I like the two piece setup. As I don’t have to pull as many burn tubes out to get the baffle out. Been messing with a damper on the insert. The burn control rod does not indict its position very well and its operation is not smooth. My only two negative comments. The door adjustment is simple effective and uncomplicated. A stove that costs half as much significantly reduces ROI time. Spend what you save somewhere else meaningful.

There are many Drolet posts here and lots of Drolet ratings. . It is a very popular stove brand backed by good customer service. I wish more people would use the rating service, but most don't. The Escape 1800 is a conventionally designed secondary tube stove. There's not a lot to go wrong.

Last edited:
There are many Drolet posts here and lots of Drolet ratings. . It is a very popular stove brand backed by good customer service. I wish more people would use the rating service, but most don't. The Escape 1800 is a conventionally designed secondary tube stove. There's not a lot to go wrong.
Very good point. I suppose if we all pitch in and remind people to use the ratings service on this forum it might help someone have more confidence with their choice.

I seem to forget about that service of this forum all the time, so thanks for the reminder.

I think if we could help get it going it would mean more to people than some random websites ratings. You know what I mean…there are plenty of people here who frequent this forum on a regular basis…way more than your everyday average stove users.

Forget the ratings. Most of those folks aren’t into stoves like forum members here are.

Do a search here for any model SBI stove: Drolet, Englander, Osburn, and some others. Those SBI stoves, most all of them are raved about on this forum and other stove forums by those members who own them. They’re built very well. I know…myself and others have done their research and they’re made as good as Kuma, Lopi, Regency…and are some of the best stoves made.

No joke…ask others here….SBI has some of the cheapest priced available parts…that are rarely needed…and their customer service is top notch and second to none.

Just because you don’t see a rating in a particular stove doesn’t mean squat. Better off to ask others here besides myself and research this forum and others for the best available information.

These forum members here, and especially the moderators, spend a tremendous amount of time not only on this forum helping folks, but also reading and learning about as many stove models as they can…again, so they can help people. Some of these folks have put in a lot of time researching everything wood stove and chimney related.

Pick their brains…that’s why we are here…to help you make an informed personal decision you will be happy with.
Thanks for all the information !

Very good point. I suppose if we all pitch in and remind people to use the ratings service on this forum it might help someone have more confidence with their choice.

I seem to forget about that service of this forum all the time, so thanks for the reminder.

I think if we could help get it going it would mean more to people than some random websites ratings. You know what I mean…there are plenty of people here who frequent this forum on a regular basis…way more than your everyday average stove users.
Yea, I think you are right, I have checked the rating more times than I can count. Knowing that the rating are from wood burners on this forum means a lot more to me than ratings on some stove sellers website.

25 loads in my1800i (same fire box as the 1800) I would have no issues making that purchase again. It’s not flashy. It’s not emotional. I don’t have to justify to myself the extra cost like I do with the Jotul.

My only decision would be 1800 or 2100! The design is solid and proven. Blowers are quiet enough. You might break a baffle. Mine came broken down the middle in two. I like the two piece setup. As I don’t have to pull as many burn tubes out to get the baffle out. Been messing with a damper on the insert. The burn control rod does not indict its position very well and its operation is not smooth. My only two negative comments. The door adjustment is simple effective and uncomplicated. A stove that costs half as much significantly reduces ROI time. Spend what you save somewhere else meaningful.
Thanks for the review!

As a nonDrolet user, I can second what he said. Drolet appears to be a solid, high quality brand. I don't see issues being discussed here with their stoves. (Sometimes with chimneys hooked up to a Drolet.)

Osborn is the "Lexus" of the Drolet ("Toyota").
I'll check them out, I can't say that I actually looked at one of them.

Have you checked with Elegant Fireside in Plano to see what they have in stock? They sell PE and True North stoves. True North is PE's value line. The TN20 is a 2 cu ft stove with conventional secondary tube design and a deep firebox for N/S loading.

Last edited:
Right now, with times like they are, isn’t a good time to be super picky or finicky about stove appearances, “Lexus” models of a certain brand, etc.

Go take a day and look at an Osburn. If the dealer or Osburn is slow in delivering you a stove and Drolet isn’t, or another company of your choice isn’t, then by all means get a stove to keep your family warm during these rough times and pocket the rest of your money for something else you might need…like good dry wood from an honest salesman who can show you with a moisture meter that his wood is dry.

Choose long in these times and you might choose wrong and you may not get a stove.

If you don’t need one, but rather want one, then keep researching and put it off another year or place an order and wait. Keep in mind I’m describing needs and wants and not you know which fits you best.

I’d hate to see you miss out on a stove if you need one. The Drolet stoves aren’t fancy, they are work horses, but to borrow a little from “Cowboy Kent Rollins”, ‘you can’t get warm on fancy’.

Reactions: EbS-P