Pacific Northwest Humidification Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Humidification -- is that even a word? No, that's not my question.

This past June we installed a Blaze King Ashford, a real beauty in brown enamel. We live in Bellingham, Washington, about 2 hours north of Seattle, on the Puget Sound, about 20 minutes south of the Canadian border (all distances measured in freeway travel time).

Used it for just a few weeks before shutting it down for summer. This season, we began burning about a week ago and now my wife says she's getting nose bleeds because the air is dry. I'm wondering what the best solution is in this climate. Given how moist it tends to get outside, do we need a humidifier? If so, what kind? Would a pot of water of the stove be adequate or would it be better to invest in a stand-alone humidifier of some sort?

Input from others who live in or have knowledge of this climate would be most helpful. The house is 2650 square feet and was constructed in 2006. It's pretty tight so it may be that there isn't much moisture from outside getting in.

Thanks, in advance, for the feedback. Was just reflecting today on all the good information I've picked up here. Everything from why not to buy the Cape Cod to choosing this stove to building the hearth pad and finding a baby gate to not panicking when the stove, upon first burn, let off enough smoke to fumigate the house. Also, much coaching and hand holding on how to run the thing. I'm glad to report that both the wife and I have gotten the hang of it.

We've never needed a humidifier here. It's rare when we get the low humidity cold clear days that one might see back east. Our house usually stays around 35-45% humidity during the winter or higher on very rainy days. Grow lots of plants to add room humidity.

We've never needed a humidifier here. It's rare when we get the low humidity cold clear days that one might see back east. Our house usually stays around 35-45% humidity during the winter or higher on very rainy days. Grow lots of plants to add room humidity.

Great idea. Is your home tightly sealed and does that make a difference?

It's reasonably well sealed but far from perfect. Lifestyle and number of occupants may make more difference.

Ok, thanks. I guess it's one of the YMMV sort of things. Like everything else associated with wood burning. ;lol

I don't see why a wood stove would affect the humidity significantly more than any other heat source. When you warm up the air, the relative humidity drops as a function of the the temp change regardless of whether the heat source is a wood stove, gas furnace, electric heat etc. Units that bring in a lot of outside air might cause more problems, but if the house is reasonably tight, I would think that a Wood Stove and Gas furnace would be pretty similar.

At our cabin on Mt Hood, we track so much snow in during the winter, that the humidity stays fairly high, especially when we have a lot of guests. We often have a lot of condensation on the toilet tanks because of the cold water and warm slightly moist air. The PNW is not like the Midwest where you often heat the air up 60 or 70 degrees and it may have been fairly dry to begin with.

If you find the humidity is low, you can put a teakettle on top of the wood stove, but you will have to fill it fairly often. At least it won't damage anything if it boils dry, unlike on an electric range.

Status
Not open for further replies.