Paint Flaking off my Olympic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin85

Jan 15, 2008
CT
I was just cleaning up around the stove and noticed that the black paint at the bottom, right and left sides of the front of the stove are flaking black paint. If I rub it with my fingers, it just falls right off. Is this normal?

My stove is less than a year old and I am very careful not to overfire. I have a Rutland thermometer on the stove top that RARELY reaches 700 degrees. Is this normal, or something I should contact my stove shop about?

My slightly older Olympic has perfect paint on the body of the stove, but nearly all the paint has flaked off the door. Must have been a bad batch of paint used on the door.

The paint on mine was fine for 10 years or so - except for scratches and normal wear and tear. I just gave it a fresh painting this year. Sounds like you have an issue...

I just got off the phone with the stove shop and explained the whole story. They said it shouldn't happen if I am firing my stove correctly. I explained that my stove has never been overfired and I've never cleaned the stove with any chemicals or brushes. The woman then told me that paint isn't covered under the warranty, but if I needed some, I could buy it there for $8. I asked for the people who run/own the place to call me back. Am I out of line? I have friends with stoves a heck of a lot older than my "less than a year old" stove and they look fine.

It states right in the manual that if you do not cure the paint correctly at the very begenning of the stoves life then it could flake off. I ahve had mine for three winters now and I have no paint problems

I followed my break in directions exactly. Actually, my stove shop installers made the first fire in my stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.