Paint peeling inside firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mazza1414

Nov 18, 2022
Upstate NY
I recently purchased a hearthstone shelburne. Followed the procedures for break in fires (had about 5), and have been slowly learning how to use. I’ve been very careful on not trying to overheat, although I had one nervy moment where it got to around 550 (though I’m seeing it’s likey not a big deal based on other threads).

My issue now is it seems like there’s paint or some material starting to peel away inside the box. Is this Normal? What could be causing it/should I be concerned? I’ve attached a photo.

D2313C90-39AF-4CF6-96E4-4A884EC5082D.jpeg

Totally normal occurrence. Inside that firebox is a very harsh environment. No paint will hold up in those conditions. At the end of the burning season you can wire brush & re-paint for aesthetics, but it’s gonna keep on happening.

Reactions: begreen