Paint secondary tubes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SculptureOfSound

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I'm repainting my used Montpelier today. Got the secondary tubes out and they were a bit rusty. Cleaned them up and noticed they were never originally painted.

Any reason I shouldn't paint them before putting them back in? Id like to stop future corrosion as well as make them look nicer. Id be hitting them with stove bright satin black.

Thanks!

You don't need to paint them.
On your first fire the paint will burn off - the secondaries get cherry red.

They are stainless steel...they don't need painted. When stainless is exposed to the high temps of a combustion chamber it will take on a "rusty" look...but its not really. Hopefully someone with more metallurgy knowledge than me will stop by and explain it...
EDIT: Here's an article about it...
https://www.polymersolutions.com/blog/why-does-stainless-steel-rust/

Last edited: