Pallets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2010
Western NY
Does anyone know of a good source for pallets in the Rochester, NY area? The places that I have asked look at me like I'm asked them to give me an arm or a leg!
I always hear about people using pallets to get their wood off the ground and that the pallets are free. It seems nothing is free anymore.

Please send me an email if you have a tip on a source for me.

I moved this to the Gear Room since people can't reply to posts in the other Forum Room. I get pallets from the local ACE Hardware store. They are always up to their ears in them and have to pay to have them hauled off.

Try to find your local branch of Fastenal (industrial hardware and supplies) (google it). They may have pallets, and, at least in my experience, they are likely to know who else in the area does, and would be willing to give them away. Try places that are vendors of wholesale supplies like plumbing, drainage, etc.

Look on Craigslist. On the main/first page of your local CL, type "pallets" into the search bar. On any given day there are at least 2-3 people giving away pallets on CL in our town......good luck!

NP

I get mine from my local nursery. He begs me to take more every time. He even loads them with the fork lift for me.

I've had great luck at the local pool and spa store. They have big oak 6 foot ones for the hot tubs and stuff.

Matt

I get mine from a local horse farm that gets bedding material and other supplies brought in.

The local Napa auto parts here pays 2 employees to load a truck and take them to the dump. My neighbor is one of the guys.
They wanted to give them to me, but they use the compressed wood in the corners, Try a Napa store.

Garden centers and nurseries seem to be good spots to get pallets.

I picked up six pallets today from the business listing them for free on craigs list. Thanks for the tip Peter. Its amazing how many others wants $$ for them.

Joe B said:
I picked up six pallets today from the business listing them for free on craigs list. Thanks for the tip Peter. Its amazing how many others wants $$ for them.

Are you burning them or just stacking wood on them?

I've seen them advertised on Craigslist but I have also seen them at the local US Post office..

There is one near me that will occasionally put some pallets on a fence and a big sign above it "free wood" so I've taken a couple of good quality pallets from them before..

Jay

I've had good luck finding free pallets at truck repair shops . . . the big trucks . . . 18-wheelers . . . lots of big parts and supplies coming in on pallets . . . in fact around here we have to give them burning permits every few months so they can burn them out back.

How long do you find the pallets last? I've been using pea gravel to keep my wood off the ground, which seems to work well.

Most local businesses around here just pile them up out back and people zoom in for the kill. Newspapers and other printing places toss out alot of pallets. You should never have to pay for pallets.

Status
Not open for further replies.