Pays to ask...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
It pays to ask, fellow wood scroungers. Stopped at a house down the road to ask about a big, juicy blow-down I've had my eye on for a while. The guy was great, and invited me to take what I wanted from the 100 or so acres behind his house also (just a hop skip and jump from my place). I've got more free wood than I know what to do with now. It is mostly spruce/tamarak, etc, but the price is right - free. Most people are happy if you show some respect for their property, and it can work to your favour, rather than just "cutting and hoping" the owner doesn't come along.

I ran into the same fortune early this year. Not only did I get some fantastic wood to scrounge within 3/8 of my home, but I also received permission to hunt a great piece of woods. All good.

hemlock said:
It pays to ask, fellow wood scroungers. Stopped at a house down the road to ask about a big, juicy blow-down I've had my eye on for a while. The guy was great, and invited me to take what I wanted from the 100 or so acres behind his house also (just a hop skip and jump from my place). I've got more free wood than I know what to do with now. It is mostly spruce/tamarak, etc, but the price is right - free. Most people are happy if you show some respect for their property, and it can work to your favour, rather than just "cutting and hoping" the owner doesn't come along.

i also find that it is good to show a little appreciation for them allowing you access to the land. Just like when I am given permission to hunt a property, if someone allows me to cut their woods I provide them with a sample (pint/quart) of maple syrup. No big deal for me as I make my own, but to them it is a great gesture that always leads to good relations.

Just a thought.

I say "well done" and "as it should be" to this!

However, when I mentioned this a few weeks back I was scoffed and told this was only an "Eastern" thing and the mid west can just take as they please and nobody cares.

I don't know, even if I were in the middle of the country, I'd still ask simply out of courtesy and a desire to sleep well at night.

pen

Most are extremely happy to let someone else move the weight. If there not move on.... Your investment in saw's and everthing else is a great win win for all!

Perhaps it is an East thing- all I know is that if someone were to come onto my property and just start cutting without permission there would be some problems. I would never think of cutting someone's land without first asking.

Yep, at least by me people don't do it. Up further north where things get tighter and people poach to feed the family...well, I bet it happens more often then you think...

Good manners don't cost anything, do they? A quote(sorta) from Pink Floyd. I would never just take wood from any land...public or private. We also have a lot of wood burners in this area and I'm batting about .250 when I ask about trees or wood I see...but that 25% of the time has yielded free wood and free is good along with some added benefits as stated above when being a decent person to the land owner. Yes, it pays to ask...and what's the worst that can happen anyways, they just say no.

ratherbfishin said:
Nice...I could be so lucky. Around here there are so many wood burners I don't dare ask.

Sorry, but there is no way I'd believe that statement. I've ran into this sort of thing most of my life and have found that it does indeed pay to ask. Those who ask usually receive. Case in point. One time I worked for a company who had route trucks. One area was supposed to be burned out and nobody could do anything. Naturally, I was assigned to that area. What I found was shocking. I even started asking some customers how many times they had been approached before I came along. Very, very few. I can only recall maybe 3 or 4 total. Within a few months it was among the top 3 routes in the state. Yes, it does pay to ask.

burntime said:
Yep, at least by me people don't do it. Up further north where things get tighter and people poach to feed the family...well, I bet it happens more often then you think...

Although you will get poachers in most areas, methinks you will find that even in the north, there is very little of that done. Perhaps many moons ago it was not that way but I doubt it is that way today even though many seem to think it is. Oh yes, I also used to live further north where things were tight.

muncybob said:
Good manners don't cost anything, do they? A quote(sorta) from Pink Floyd. I would never just take wood from any land...public or private. We also have a lot of wood burners in this area and I'm batting about .250 when I ask about trees or wood I see...but that 25% of the time has yielded free wood and free is good along with some added benefits as stated above when being a decent person to the land owner. Yes, it pays to ask...and what's the worst that can happen anyways, they just say no.

Right on Bob. Good manners are not costly and I'll add to that that character does count for a lot. However, trust has to be earned.

Dennis, up north in certain countys you can buy a permit for 3 cord for 15 bucks. Few buy the permit but still cut. Infact by my stand they cut some nice oaks down. They are only allowed to take windfall. I know they have cut on my buddies 50 acres more then once. Infact he posted and went back cause he heard something... He waited an hour only to find a set of gloves, 6 trees dropped and 2 taken already as well as a still wood boss and homelite. Needless to say he now owns those and has yet for anyone to come knocking! :cheese: I am with you though. All you need to do is ask. You may be suprised sometimes...

Yes, unfortunately those things will happen from time to time as some only want to do the illegal things. I've never quite understood their thinking....

But let me give you another perspective. We used to be able to go into state owned land and could get free permits for up to 10 cord per year. Now they charge for those permits but it is very little. After I had got a few permits and even asked where I could find good stuff, they got to know me and one day a fellow asked if I'd be interested in cutting some live trees! Of course I would but where are they. Only about a mile from our house! I got turned in about 10 times because someone saw me cutting down live trees on state land. lol I was amazed that folks turned me in but not one approached me about it. Maybe they thought that saw looked too dangerous.

I agree, thats why I make sure. I knocked on a door after the county cut some right of way on a guys property for a bunch of choke cherry. He got kinda mad and asked if I knew how good the wood was... If you want something, go ahead and take that ash, it has no smell! Yep, I left with a ranger half full of cut and split seasoned ash. I helped him haul the chokecherry up the drive. Fair enough...

:lol: Sounds more than fair to me. I'd have done the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.